cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why two filters regarding freelancer's hourly rate?

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
1 of 80

The bad thing with search tool is next:

I'm now in category of experts (not by my choice), description bellow: "Willing to pay higher rates for most experienced freelancers"

When someone needs a presentation, they'll exclude me with one single click on this filter. It's unecessary filter because there is already another filter for hourly prices, more precise. I have $25 rate, but the person who sees the "experts" label might think it's a category only for rates above $40 per hour or something like that.

I won't get all the invitations I would if I wasn't in expert category, or if clients didn't use that filter. But they do use it because it's a third filter in a row. Most jobs, listed in my job feed, are set to "intermediate - looking for a mix of experience and value" (which is expected).

Well, that's not fair. If anything, I should decide if I'm in category of mix of experience and value, or highest rates. Hourly rate of $25 is not among highest rates. I set it purposely so I could attract clients who offer long term contracts, for months, and these people don't go with highest prices. 

Edit: and yes, I'm glad that UpWork thinks I'm an expert. But please, just don't connect that with hourly rate if you already have other filter for that. After a client clicks on intermediate they won't find me in results even if he/she sets filter for hourly rate so it matches mine hourly rate in that range. You can easily check that, as I just did. I don't appear at all, unless I choose "expert-highest rates", which to many people might mean rates above $60. 

Although I'm top rated, and on top pages in results, I'm once again hidden by the system from potential clients. 

Think about these filters, please.

2 of 80

Vesna,

When I use the "Expert" (I know I am not a client) but I I am generally looking for jobs wanting specific skills and anything that pays better then the other two categories. I do not consider the "Expert" Category over $40 or a set amount, but that the client is willing to pay more for someone with specific skills. So I don't think you would be filtered out or looked over due to being in an "Expert" category.

I work $20 an hour jobs and many of those are in the category you mention, Intermediate and Entry Level generally have lower expectations and pay rate.

Community Guru
3 of 80

@Suzanne N wrote:

Vesna,

When I use the "Expert" (I know I am not a client) but I I am generally looking for jobs wanting specific skills and anything that pays better then the other two categories. I do not consider the "Expert" Category over $40 or a set amount, but that the client is willing to pay more for someone with specific skills. So I don't think you would be filtered out or looked over due to being in an "Expert" category.

I work $20 an hour jobs and many of those are in the category you mention, Intermediate and Entry Level generally have lower expectations and pay rate.

Suzanne, maybe you don't see "expert" as a category for freelancers with over $40 per hour, but there are descriptions, and icons near each category that tell something:

entry $

intermediate $$

expert $$$

It's obvious what three dollar symbols represent. More expertise = more cost.

One thing is when I apply to job. I can choose both intermediate and expert categories. I don't filter them out because such thing is not in my interest. However, it's different when client searches for freelancer. If he/she clicks on "expert" or "intermediate" that will list only those freelancers that belong to each category. Unless if he/she decides to uncheck one filter and try with other. Which I doubt many of them do.

Intermediate and expert category equally list many freelancers with around $20 hourly rates, although what icons and description suggest is something totally different. Also, it's weird to see a person with around $30 in entry level category, when it's description says "lowest rate".

So, we have a situation now where you click for example on "entry - freelancers with lowest rates", and "hourly rate: $60 and above". Not choosing any other filter I get some pretty funny results. Pages and pages of freelancers that have lowest rates with above $60. What sense does that have? Can mods explain this to me?

4 of 80
I'm glad someone brought this up! I saw that filter and was wondering how Upwork determines who's an expert (only by hourly rates)? Can mods clarify?
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
5 of 80

Hi Isabelle, 

Your experience level is self-assessed you would have selected this when signing up.  Here is a screen capture: image.png

Untitled
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
6 of 80

Lena

You say this is set when you set up your profile. can you please explain how it can be changed later. I've looked all over my profile settings and can't see it anywhere.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
7 of 80

@Stephen B wrote:

Lena

You say this is set when you set up your profile. can you please explain how it can be changed later. I've looked all over my profile settings and can't see it anywhere.

I asked the same question as soon as I saw her post.

I never knew it was that easy to became an expert! Poor people who started out as entry level 5 years ago - DOOM!

Community Guru
8 of 80

@Stephen B wrote:

Lena

Only place where I see it's possible to set experience is in settings, bellow profile access.

I have set there two years experience, not 5 or 10. And description for intermediate according to image Lena pasted is "a few years experience", and for expert "many years of experience".

Are the two years of experience "many years" or "a few"?

9 of 80

@Lena E wrote:

Hi Isabelle, 

Your experience level is self-assessed you would have selected this when signing up.  Here is a screen capture: 

I registered here three years ago, and I don't remember such option. I'm sure I didn't set "expert" for myself three years ago because back than I didn't feel like expert in PowerPoint. Please, where can I change this? And if this option exist how often we can change it? I would like to test my presumption, is there more invitations in intermediate area. 

Edit: 

Can't we be experts in one thing and intermediate in other, and search jobs according to this? How it looks now, once I learn web design, and decide to apply for beginner jobs in that area, I'll appear again as an expert.

10 of 80
Just saw this reply now. Thanks for the response; however, I honestly don't remember self-assessing my experience level. And anyway, things have changed since I first signed up. I, like others, look forward to further clarification.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS