cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winning a job

nasimjenabi
Active

Dear friends I found some problems here in upwork, As I see someone who come to this site as a new member is very difficult to get progress ,every client wants a top score freelancer but how about new comers?! I have a suggestion to upwork ,Please take care of new ones make a safe area for protection them.put some part for new comers to apply job with lowest price let them to grow.I am an architect and I am expert but here I don't have any chance to show my ability to client, because they prefer to see high score freelancer more than portfolio. I am waiting for a logical answer or solution.

Thanks a lot 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tlsanders
Community Guru

The problem isn't nearly as serious as you seem to believe. We were all new at some point. While many clients check the boxes for a certain number of hours or a certain rating, many of us have been hired despite lacking those stated qualifications. The client will generally be much more interested in your overall experience than your Upwork experience.

One word of advice--the very last thing you want to do is seek the lowest paying jobs to get started. Freelancers who have made this mistake regularly come to the forums asking for advice on how to escape from that trap, as good clients do not take them seriously when they see that they have worked for pennies and it becomes very difficult to establish credibility and raise rates. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
tlsanders
Community Guru

The problem isn't nearly as serious as you seem to believe. We were all new at some point. While many clients check the boxes for a certain number of hours or a certain rating, many of us have been hired despite lacking those stated qualifications. The client will generally be much more interested in your overall experience than your Upwork experience.

One word of advice--the very last thing you want to do is seek the lowest paying jobs to get started. Freelancers who have made this mistake regularly come to the forums asking for advice on how to escape from that trap, as good clients do not take them seriously when they see that they have worked for pennies and it becomes very difficult to establish credibility and raise rates. 

Thank you for your nice answer,but i have to tell you as upwork becomes more famous, getting a job for new comer will be harder and this is unavoidable. Here in upwork I see near each job ad write this: 

Job Success Score: At least 90%

Include Rising Talent: Yes

Preferred Qualifications

So what dose it means?

So am not alone. I am good at what I do but I haven't got any job. Some clients can be so unfair asking for impossible to happen. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS