🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Work Diary Question
Page options
joneskellie62
Community Member

Work Diary Question

I am new to Upwork and I have finally found a client I would like to work with. But, I am having trouble understanding how the work diary works. Would I be able to use the Upwork Work DIary if I am using a softphone to make calls using Vimeo? I don't want to manually log my hours and would like some information on how to set that up, if compatible? Thanks for all your help! 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Kellie:

You may use the Upwork "time-tracker" application to automatically log time to your work diary.

You may use this tool from Mac OS X, Windows, or Linux computers.

You do NOT need to use manually-logged time as long as you are using one of those operating systems and have the time-tracker installed and running.

Keep in mind that the time-tracker application is NOT a "time clock." It requires adequate mouse/keyboard activity in order to register time.

Many Upwork freelancers (including myself, earlier today) successfully use the Upwork time-tracker application to log time to the work diary while doing phone calls and videoconferencing calls. (Which may entail interacting with the screen in some way, or typing notes, or clicking the mouse enough during a call...)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

Kellie:

You may use the Upwork "time-tracker" application to automatically log time to your work diary.

You may use this tool from Mac OS X, Windows, or Linux computers.

You do NOT need to use manually-logged time as long as you are using one of those operating systems and have the time-tracker installed and running.

Keep in mind that the time-tracker application is NOT a "time clock." It requires adequate mouse/keyboard activity in order to register time.

Many Upwork freelancers (including myself, earlier today) successfully use the Upwork time-tracker application to log time to the work diary while doing phone calls and videoconferencing calls. (Which may entail interacting with the screen in some way, or typing notes, or clicking the mouse enough during a call...)

Thanks so much for your help, Preston!

You have always been knowledgeable and offered great advice! I will download the time clock tool right now!

Have a good one!

Kellie

I meant the time tracker... not the time clock, lol

Good catch.

There ARE such things as "time clock" tools.

If this was a "time clock" then you could start it, talk for an an hour, and then stop it, and get paid for an hour of work. But this tool does not do that. If you started it and talked for an hour and stopped it, you would get paid nothing.

But if you interact with the computer (keyboard/mouseclicks) sufficiently during each ten-minute interval, then you will get paid for all your time.

Preston H wrote:

Good catch.

There ARE such things as "time clock" tools.

If this was a "time clock" then you could start it, talk for an an hour, and then stop it, and get paid for an hour of work. But this tool does not do that. If you started it and talked for an hour and stopped it, you would get paid nothing.

But if you interact with the computer (keyboard/mouseclicks) sufficiently during each ten-minute interval, then you will get paid for all your time.

* Provided of course that you've actually done some work for your client, rather than simply tapping the keyboard randomly and for no purpose whilst taking a phone call etc, which I'm sure you didn't mean to suggest people can do, Preston. 

Yes, Richard, that is so true! 

I'm sure there are a lot of ways people would be able to cheat the system. But, with this client, luckily I the proof is in the pudding. I just need to be able to track the time it takes to make all those calls and KNOW that I will get paid for my time. 

Thank you both for taking the time to answer my post! I am thankful that Upwork has a community page where you can get answers from more experienced freelancers, etc. 

Hi Kellie, 

You may want to check the difference between a fixed-price and an hourly contract in this help article, and see if a fixed-price contract is better for this type of work. 

I highly recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please don’t forget to read the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork

Kellie J wrote:

I'm sure there are a lot of ways people would be able to cheat the system. But, with this client, luckily I the proof is in the pudding. I just need to be able to track the time it takes to make all those calls and KNOW that I will get paid for my time. 

I'm not sure whether Preston's advice is correct. If you're just randomly clicking the mouse but the screen captures aren't showing you actually working (which they won't, if you're on the phone), then I don't think that you'll qualify for payment protection. But perhaps a mod can confirm.

Soft phone with Vimeo is not the same thing as talking on a cellphone or landline phone.

The screenshots will show the softphone software you using, or the videoconferencing screen you are using, or the call center screen, or the notes you are taking about the call.

I don't recommend using the time-tracker application if you are not actually using the computer.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members