cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worried about "Clients who would recommend you"

Alina U Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
1 of 13

Hello Upwork Community! Smiley Happy
I have just seen that one of my past clients didn't recommend me, as the percentage changed from 100% to 93%. 

I have joined Upwork on December, my profile has only positive feedback, 5.00 stars where clients recommend me, I always try to make the client happy and I never asked for a good feedback, that would be unfair with the work I provided. Also, all of my pasts clients told me that everything is perfect, before ending the contract. So I am asking myself if one of my clients made a mistake, is this possible when giving a feedback?

How much do you think this will affect my future jobs? Should I worry? ( I am a student, only doing this part-time, but with great responsibility )

Thank you in advance,
Alina.

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
2 of 13

Your job success is still 100, so don't worry about the "would recommend" number. A client perhaps didn't answer that question or didn't leave feedback at all. Future clients can't see that number, only your JSS.

Also a friendly recommendation - raise your hourly rate. $5 an hour is ridiculous.

3 of 13

Thank you Jess. 
I initially thought that future clients can see everything I can see at "My stats", thank you for clarification.

My hour rate was $15/hour some time ago, I think this is pretty fair for me and my clients, for the work I serve, but I didn't get as many invitations as I get now, with this hour rate (although many of them are completely different than what I am looking for and out of my skill area). Do you think this is still a low rate? Also, I really think that I should upgrade my portfolio before going higher than $10-15 with my rate, I made my portfolio pretty quick, it might seem a bit unprofessional, and it may be a reason as well for the number of invitations I receive. Do you agree with me?

I am really curious what others think, as this will help me alot with improving my succes here, on Upwork.

Thank you again,
Alina.

Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
4 of 13

Generally speaking, anyone advertising an hourly rate below $15/hr when you're counting in the 20% fee to Upwork can't be expected to supply quality work, especially not design work. I understand you're not US based, but a low-ball hourly rate like $5 tends to indicate a lack of experience or skills, and will attract more scammers than actual clients. Even when you work fixed price, they'll expect you to be cheap.

The rule of thumb is that design work can have 2 out of 3 of these qualities: cheap, fast, or good. If a client wants quality and speed, they have to be willing to pay for it. If they want it cheap, then they sacrifice quality or speed (and usually both).

In my experience, invitations aren't worth much. I've had hundreds, but have only ever been hired by two of them, one of which ended up being a nightmare client.

So, yes, definitely update/improve your portfolio, but also raise your rate.

5 of 13

Your replies helped me a lot, Jess Smiley Happy 
Thank you.

Community Guru
6 of 13

You are most welcome!

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
7 of 13

@Jess C wrote:

Your job success is still 100, so don't worry about the "would recommend" number. A client perhaps didn't answer that question or didn't leave feedback at all. Future clients can't see that number, only your JSS.

Jess,

Clients cannot close a job without leaving feedback, the most important element of which is the recommendation question. This, far more than Upwork's housekeeping requirement, is the compelling reason to remind clients (within reason) to close successful jobs. Despite all the other variables people fret about, client recommendation rate is the most reliable predictor of JSS, which closely tracks it.

Best,

MM

Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
8 of 13

You completed 14 jobs; 1 job in progress; total 15 jobs. 14 clients recommended you, 1 didn't have a chance to do so yet. 14 in 15 makes 93.667% : )

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 13

@Baris A wrote:

You completed 14 jobs; 1 job in progress; total 15 jobs. 14 clients recommended you, 1 didn't have a chance to do so yet. 14 in 15 makes 93.667% : )

Clients from ongoing jobs and clients who did not leave feedback at all do NOT factor into this calculation, only those who actually answered the "Would you recommend this freelancer...." question.

Community Guru
Baris A Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
10 of 13

: ( The number was so close...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS