cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

block clients without verified payment method?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 18

@Nichola L wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

Upwork will guarantee payment - up to a point - if a freelancer follows all the recommended steps, whether the job is hourly or fixed-rate. However, if you start a fixed-rate job with 'escrow funded', but the client still has to verify payment, then there could be a problem. Upwork always warns you though, if you are about to do this.

This one confuses me. I know it happens, but I don't understand how a client can fund escrow without verifying his payment method.

A client with unverified payment, can show willing by accepting a bid and 'potentially' funding escrow. It is up to the freelancer to make sure that monies have actually been funded before sendng the work. 

Not quite

A client can absolutely fund Escrow before verifying their payment method. The funds are in escrow, they are funded........ BUT - funds can not be released from Escrow until the payment method is verified.

Basically it means the client has successfully entered a valid payment method on the system and that payment method was able to be successfully be charged the milestone funds.

However, you should NOT hand over any work until the payment method has been verified.

ushahzada
Usman S Member Since: Feb 22, 2015
12 of 18

Yup Clients should not be allowed to post a project if their payment methods are not verified

oquintela
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
13 of 18

@Usman S wrote:

Yup Clients should not be allowed to post a project if their payment methods are not verified

I'm glad clients are allowed to post jobs without having their payment verified - many end up hiring me.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
14 of 18

Yep, verifying payment at the start of the project is fine with me. 

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
15 of 18

@Usman S wrote:

Usman,

About half of them hire successfully. Bye-bye to those jobs!

Best,

Michael 

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
16 of 18

Usman = Totally, disagree with your statement "Yup Clients should not be allowed to post a project if their payment methods are not verified"

I have and will continue to accept jobs where the clients account is not verified. But I make it clear to the client that escrow has to be funded AND their account has to be verified Before I start work. It's in my agreement (my terms) that they agree to. If there's an understand between the client and contractor concerning that then it should not be a problem. .

dbarberio
Dana B Member Since: Jul 21, 2015
17 of 18

I've had many top notch clients who placed a job proposal without a verified payment method, but then completed their payment verification before hiring me.

I would avoid accepting an awarded job from someone without verified payment, but it's not an issue when you are interviewing.

susanmccall
Ace Contributor
Susan M Member Since: Feb 14, 2016
18 of 18

Well I guess (like anything else) it all boils down to being a live and learn process - I'm really glad that all of you chiming in have shared your knowledge; greatly appreciated!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS