Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

client unwilling to pay

afifafatima
Afifa F Member Since: Dec 20, 2015
1 of 15

Hi, 

I have been working since October with a client I found over Upwork based in Karachi, Pakistan. She has been very inconsistent in sending the work during all the time that I have worked with her. My main issue is that she is unwilling to release my payment for the month of November 2015. She failed to pay me the full amount for the work that I did in October 2015, saying that her client had not paid her for some articles, on account of which she did not pay me for those articles. She was supposed to pay me on the 15th of December 2015 for the work that I did in November and is yet to pay me the money. Her e-mail adress is**edited for Community Guidelines** and is giving me very lame reasons trying to delay the payment. What should I do in a such a case? Is there a process through which Upwork can help me? 

Afifa

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 15

Do you have an official Upwork contract in place and that contract appears under "My Jobs" in your "My Contracts" tab?

If so, assuming it is a fixed rate contract, are milestones set up and funded for the work you have submitted and the funds are in Escrow?

tanner-james
Ace Contributor
James T Member Since: Oct 12, 2015
3 of 15

2 problems you have with this client, and this is my opinion:

1) If the client has already funded  ESCROW then you should get the payment for the work done - Unfortunately as you have been submitting the work and have been in contact with this client then it won't be released until the client releases it. When a client has funded ESCROW and then goes walkabout and you have submitted the work then after 14 days of zero contact you will get the payment.

2) And I hope there is no backlash from this comment, again this is from experience and also talking to many other freelanceers - **edited for Community Guidelines**

I hope you get what you deserve - tip, never submit work unless they are online and can release funds

Goof luck

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 15

James, I have a feeling there may not be a contract...

tanner-james
Ace Contributor
James T Member Since: Oct 12, 2015
5 of 15

Petra,

If that is the case, and I really hope it is not then that is a basic freelancer 101 blunder and sighs......

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 15

Ain't your problem if her client doesn't pay her. You have a contract with her not her client.

jessicasimko
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
7 of 15

I'm confused. Why did you even continue to work for someone in November and December that didn't pay you in full for October? And then didn't pay at all in November?

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 15

Standard farmer behavior. She hires a cheap writer and the client rejects some of the work (probably not well written) and then she refuses to pay the writer.

Don't get involved with farmers. Bad things will happen.

jessicasimko
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
9 of 15

Are these the type of clients who get jobs here, with no real intention of doing the work themselves, and then they hire someone else to do it - giving them a portion of the pay, And then the client has to wait for their clients approval before they can pay the person they hired to do the work they said they were doing themselves?

This widget could not be displayed.
10 of 15
This widget could not be displayed.

@Jessica S wrote:

Are these the type of clients who get jobs here, with no real intention of doing the work themselves, and then they hire someone else to do it - giving them a portion of the pay, And then the client has to wait for their clients approval before they can pay the person they hired to do the work they said they were doing themselves?

I do not think that it is allowed on Upwork to acquire a job from a client and then to acquire another freelancer to do this work by using a client profile. However, I think some people do that. That may be one of the reasons for ill-paid job offers.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS