Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*edited* SCAM

alison_biloni1
Alison B Member Since: Sep 27, 2016
1 of 12

hI people,

I have been today contacted by this **Edited for Community Guidelines** company, after a brief and very strange interview I have been proposed the job, the lady told me they will send me the equipment and software and I will have to pay for it. Thats what I call a scam, be aware. Would you agree with me or I am just very suspicious?

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 12

Alison, it's a scam - you need to report this to Upwork immediately.

alison_biloni1
3 of 12

Hi VIrignia,

yeah I reported it as a fraud actually, since this people ask for money, hopefully no one is gonna fully fall for it.

kochubei_valeria
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 12

Hi Alison,

Thank you for reporting. I'll follow up with the team to make sure they review and take actions as soon as possible.

~ Valeria
Untitled
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 12

re: "hopefully no one is gonna fully fall for it"

You are apparently an optimist.

I'm glad you didn't fall for it, but the reason that Upwork freelancers encounter scammers here is that untold thousands of freelancers DO fall for these scams and DO send money to the scammers.

Scammers don't waste their time trolling waters where there are no fish.

For example, scammers never send invitations to me, because they can see that I'm an experienced Upwork user and they know I would not fall for the scam. Experienced Upwork users rarely (if ever) receive invitations from scammers.

alison_biloni1
6 of 12

Hi Preston,

yeah I am a kind of optimist, I really think it smells scam from the very beginning, but for a second I thought, well, never know, maybe some luck is falling upon me. But I see your point, someone with little experience and very willing to get a job could fall for it. 

alison_biloni1
7 of 12

Oh sorry Valeria if I put the name of the company on the title, I didn't know it was a violation of the rules

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
8 of 12

@Alison B wrote:

Oh sorry Valeria if I put the name of the company on the title, I didn't know it was a violation of the rules

Forum Guidelines

Link: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Upwork-Community-Guidelines/td-p/3/jump-to/first-unrea...

grace_wolf
Graciela L Member Since: Oct 3, 2016
9 of 12

Hello guys!! right now this person is writting me and hostigating me. Her name is **Edited for Community Guidelines** so be aware!! 

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 12

What on earth is "hostigating"?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS