cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extremely high CPU and memory usage by the Upwork Team app.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
George J Member Since: Nov 9, 2014
1 of 29

I have the Upwork team app installed on every desktop and virtual machine I work from here at home. This ranges from Windows XP through Win7 and CentOS7 Linux.

What I've noticed most recently on the Windows version, under both XP and Win7, is that I've been seeing a marked increase in CPU and memory consumption. I just had to kill the app on my XP SP3 netbook because it had a total of three processes running and a total of 1GB of RAM being held exclusively by the app across the three processes (the largest of which being 890MB in a single process). The app was also shut off and not tracking time at that moment. On my Win7 desktop (Pentium D 950 w/4GB RAM), I've seen it consuming as much or more memory. My Win7 laptop (i3 w/8GB of RAM) and the VM's that run on the laptop (all WinXP SP3 w/2GB RAM), I've seen the same thing happen; the Upwork app will consume large amounts of memory and clock cycles.

This has been getting progressively worse with each update that's been getting pushed out, especially the updates pushed out in the last few weeks.

Has anyone else noticed this as well?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
2 of 29

I haven't but I just checked on Win 7 Pro.  launched but not tracking time and CPU usage is 0 and memory across two process is 175k.  A non-issue for me.

Highlighted
Mugeni M Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
3 of 29

Hi People! Is there a lighter version of the Upwork Team App? The updated one is swallowing up lots of my computer's RAM making it difficult to work. Its currently using between 280-350 MB at any one time.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 29

Hi George and Mugeni,

I'm running the Team app on Windows 7 and it's using about 100mb, and with the messages window open it goes to 140mb. There's no option to reduce its consumption but I'm puzzled by the memory usage you stated. Could you please take a screenshot of the application's process on your computer and send it to me in a private message?

Highlighted
Ranjit M Member Since: Sep 12, 2015
5 of 29

Upwork EXE using 98 % CPUupwordExe High CPU1.pngupwordExe High CPU2.png

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
6 of 29

Hi Ranjit,

Could you please try uninstall the app and download our beta version from Here. If you`re still experiencing the same issue let me know, thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Leader
Gerald H Member Since: Jun 16, 2016
7 of 29

I had something similar yesterday. My computer nearly froze and got very slow. I was in a hurry to start the app because the client was in a hurry and it didn´t start. So I thought I had to click it again and once more and when I checked the processes after the work was finished and the app shut down, there were still 2 processes of the App running with very high RAM consumption. 

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
8 of 29

Hi Joe,

Please take screenshots and send them to me here or via PM, thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 29

XP? Why? An i3 with 8GB of RAM with Windows 7 is terrible. You should have at least 16GB and stupid Chrome and all the tabs I have open along with its memory leaks eats like 10GB lol. Upgrade dude.  This is on you. Pony up the dough for a work horse.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
George J Member Since: Nov 9, 2014
10 of 29

@Jennifer M wrote:

XP? Why? An i3 with 8GB of RAM with Windows 7 is terrible. You should have at least 16GB and stupid Chrome and all the tabs I have open along with its memory leaks eats like 10GB lol. Upgrade dude.  This is on you. Pony up the dough for a work horse.

XP because it's lightweight for VM's and my netbook and 99% of all of the Windows applications I need for my various clients work perfectly fine under it Only the latest VMWare Vsphere client refuses to work because it requires newer encrypt/auth schemes not supported by XP (though I could get it to work by hacking and installing an update for 2003 Server that provides it).

I don't need 16GB for the vast majority of the work I do for my clients. When you spend the majority of your day in multiple PuTTY sessions and firewall/router web interfaces, you don't really consume a lot of memory. 2GB on my XP machines works well enough, 4GB on my pair of Win7 desktops is more than adequate and the 8GB on my laptop really just allows me to run two or three VMs at once along with whatever else I've had to do. My penetration testing machines work well with 2GB of RAM as well. My "PC of last resort" is an old 933MHz Pentium 3 with 1GB of RAMBUS RAM running XP and Linux... And I've made money with it.

The only time I've had to move my work to my server (HP Proliant DL 360 w/dual quad-core Xeon E5440 and 32GB of RAM) was when I needed to set up a mirror of a client's Vagrant, Kubernetes, and OpenShift environments with all of the containers up and running.

Even the stuff I do personally doesn't require that much memory. I can compose music in less than 2GB of ram. I've worked in Photoshop in the past with as little as 32MB of RAM (I started my graphic design studio in the 90's with a 486 with 32Mb of RAM), I've done CGI work with the same 32MB as well.

16GB is a meme at this point. It's wholly unnecessary for most things and doesn't give the average user anything of value.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS