🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » many changes requested
Page options
67f51c63
Community Member

many changes requested

My client is just keep requesting changes .I have made changes 4 times since now. When tha contra ct has been started ,the client said he needs the work in 15 days  and this contract is due in 15 days ,then i have done all the required work in 15 days . After that he has requested changes 4 times and i am doing changes but still he dont want to pay yet ,it has been 52 days. The amount of the contract is $400 and the work is about software solution architect and UML diagrams. What should i do now?

I am exhausted of these changes . even client is now not keepi ng his words he said he will complete the contract in 2-3 days after 4th changing but it has been 1 week passed but still he is not paying and saying that he need more time . And the client only has 1 review which is very bad . I am very worried, i have a family to support but he is keep avoiding to pay.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ashrafkhan81
Community Member

I take up fixed-fee contracts only after a detailed discussion and thoughtful consideration. The most important rule I follow is if the scope or outcome of the contract can't be objectively defined never take up fixed fee contact even if that means losing the contract!

While most contracts will result in requests for minor changes, this should be discussed beforehand and you should make the client aware that if the requested changes deviate from the initial scope, the charges will be extra.

Another rule I follow is, no matter how cool, honest, or decent of a person the client sounds on zoom calls or messages. You should plan for the worst and split the milestones into at least two!

The first milestone should be released when 1st draft is submitted, any revision would be done only after the release of the 1st milestone and activation of the 2nd milestone.

Also, I notice many clients suggesting small milestones initially 50, 100 USD, the first milestone should be at least 50% of the project value.

If the client does not agree, let him go...you are always well protected with an hourly contract.

Money is the primary motivation and factor for us to work, and if that is not coming it's very easy to get discouraged. While in the hourly contact every time I log in few hours I can see more money coming in....

Best of luck, also did you submit the work for the release of the milestone? If not, please do so now. And if the work has deviated from the initial scope, you need to request the release of milestones and renegotiate additional, milestones for the additional work.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sikander,

I'm sorry to hear about all that. While I'm not familiar with the contract I can confirm that freelancers aren't required to complete tasks that have not been discussed and agreed at the start of the contract or during the contract, and aren't part of the contract terms. Note that we do have Payment Protection in place for Fixed Price contracts and in case the client declines the payment request that appears to have been submitted, the freelancer will be able to initiate a dispute and our team will follow up with both parties. You can find more information in these help articles, here and here.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
ashrafkhan81
Community Member

I take up fixed-fee contracts only after a detailed discussion and thoughtful consideration. The most important rule I follow is if the scope or outcome of the contract can't be objectively defined never take up fixed fee contact even if that means losing the contract!

While most contracts will result in requests for minor changes, this should be discussed beforehand and you should make the client aware that if the requested changes deviate from the initial scope, the charges will be extra.

Another rule I follow is, no matter how cool, honest, or decent of a person the client sounds on zoom calls or messages. You should plan for the worst and split the milestones into at least two!

The first milestone should be released when 1st draft is submitted, any revision would be done only after the release of the 1st milestone and activation of the 2nd milestone.

Also, I notice many clients suggesting small milestones initially 50, 100 USD, the first milestone should be at least 50% of the project value.

If the client does not agree, let him go...you are always well protected with an hourly contract.

Money is the primary motivation and factor for us to work, and if that is not coming it's very easy to get discouraged. While in the hourly contact every time I log in few hours I can see more money coming in....

Best of luck, also did you submit the work for the release of the milestone? If not, please do so now. And if the work has deviated from the initial scope, you need to request the release of milestones and renegotiate additional, milestones for the additional work.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths