Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"View Competitor Bids." Ummmmm...

cclapper
Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
21 of 30

"And most importantly, there is no winning bid amount.  That is the most important number that I was looking for with the upgrade."

Yes, that is an important number. Sadly, it's gone.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
22 of 30

Is the winning contractor identified? If so, one could look either for the specific contract in their history or for general trends in their pricing.

Best,

Michael

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
23 of 30

Thanks for bringing that up regard going back and checking!

That's exactly what I do:

1. Review their hire history, payment, who've they hired in the past (What are their skills? Are they just hiring lowballers? Are they hiring only newbies, who tend to low bid to get jump started...by the way, this isn't a judgment about the freelancers, I use the information to understand whether I should spend my time bidding or not). 

2.If I'm not hired for the position, yes I go back to see their job history,  and view the profile of the person they hired instead.

None of this is any extra work for me (I can hear the other freelancers now...Why waste the time? But, it's not a waste for me, as I'm selective about the clients with whom I work).

Indeed, this just occurred right now. I saw who they hired, and they are cheaper than I am. I asked the client if they were still looking, they said no (even though they interviewed me and then ignored me after that...so, um, no thanks, I won't ever work for them in the future). 

Best Regards!

Kat

david_gregory
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
24 of 30

@Cathleen C wrote:

"And most importantly, there is no winning bid amount.  That is the most important number that I was looking for with the upgrade."

Yes, that is an important number. Sadly, it's gone.

From what I read in another thread where freelancers were complaining about being forced to show their earnings, a lot of freelancers don't want this information shared. What's the difference between showing your earnings on your profile or showing your earnings on the actual job? This is one thing I never understood about the way Elance was set up. People would hide their earnings but if you just clicked on the job in their profile, you could find out how much they bid for the job.

Personally, I don't really care about this information. I bid what I bid regardless of what other people are bidding.

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
25 of 30

@Diann F wrote:

After struggling for about a month to get my foot in the door with clients who are being bombarded with large numbers of proposals, I just upgraded to the Plus plan so that I could learn what the jobs that I am declined on actually went for.  So now with the upgrade, I can see the bid range on the jobs that I'm still in the running for, but there is ZERO info included on the jobs that I lost out on, at least not in the same place that I see the range for the others.  And most importantly, there is no winning bid amount.  That is the most important number that I was looking for with the upgrade. Am I missing something?

But can't you see the winning fee without premium? Usually, if you visit the job after it closes (or another job posted by the same client) you can see it in the clients jobs in progress (if they hired). You can't always see it, but seeing a few inspire me to raise my rates a little. I was sad seeing all the low budget listings and interview invitations. Then I saw the projects that interest me were actually paying at least the low end of market rate (or slightly below, sometimes within market rate). I also look at what the client previously paid contractors before submitting a bid. 

I thought about subscribing for a few months as an educational tool. But then I figured that most likely there will always be a crazy low bid and there will probably always be a bid higher than I can charge (with my current level of experience). I am not sure how helpful it would be in figuring out the appropriate rate to charge for my skills and experience right now. I am not sure how meaningful the average would be due to the very low outlier. Has your experience been different?

dorankyle
Kyle D Member Since: Jul 12, 2016
26 of 30

Are bid ranges reflecting hourly rates for the project or just completed project rates?

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
27 of 30

Hi Kyle, 

I replied to your same question on this thread

~ Avery
Upwork
wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
28 of 30

The high / low / median bids, all bidders names and the winning provider were all eLance features for paying members. Yes, it was helpful once you knew the providers most likely to be your competition - BUT it was by no means crucial to landing  job.

Bid what YOU figure is fairest and what makes sense for your time and talent.  Worrying about other bids and trying to underbid is the fastest way to fail.  Epically.

dzadza
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
29 of 30

Hi Andrew,

You can't actually see each bid - what you see is the range - high, low and average

As you can guess, low is always the lowest hourly rate, high is usually something weird, and average is...well, average ;-)

haroonpasha
Haroon M Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
30 of 30

I have to say I'm not a fan of this change, I quit working on Elance with this issue... Sorry to say I personally consider this feature as useful, and it would mean no harm.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS