cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upload drivers license

Michael C Member Since: Jun 9, 2016
1 of 65

Hi, I was just trying to respond to a possible job and it said I have to upload my drivers license?  How do I do that?  Thank you if anyone can help.

Michael

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
2 of 65

Don't do it. There shouldn't be any need for them to have a copy of your ID, and it's probably some kind of phishing scam to get your info. After they've seen they can get away with having you upload your drivers license, they'll probably then get you to upload a copy of your passport and your bank statements... they may even send you a check to cash which will end in tears.

Stay away!

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 65

@Scott E wrote:

Stay away!

Scott, Unless I am dramatically misunderstanding something this is Upwork asking, not the client. Seems they're testing this as an alternative to having to verify a bank account to verify USA location.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 65

Upwork requesting freelancers to upload their driver's licenses is completely legitimate. But it is so new that many of us are not used to it yet.

There is no reason to give a CLIENT a scan of your license.

But official Upwork itself can ask for your license as a way to verify your identity and/or where you live.

If an Upwork client asks for your license, tell them:

"Yes. My information is on file with Upwork. I'm not allowed to send it to you directly, but you are authorized to contact Upwork directly and obtain anything you need."

Sorry about the confusion.

Michael C Member Since: Jun 9, 2016
5 of 65

Hi, Can you tell me exactly how to upload my drivers license for Upwork?  I'm not too good with computers.  Thanks if you can help.

Michael

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 65

Michael, there is information about this here:

New Real-Time Process for Freelancer U.S. Location Verification

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
7 of 65

Hi MIchael, 

I just checked your account and it doesn't look like you need to submit any identification documents at the moment. Could you please share a screen grab of the request that specifically stated that you need to upload your driver's license?

-Avery
Untitled
PHOEBE C Member Since: Aug 23, 2017
8 of 65

I have tried several times to upload my drivers license to verify location. 

The problem is with UPWORK.

I can upload the file under help but I can't submit the request to the help support team. 

i am only given the option to go to Upwork Community or read guidelines.

I wonder if they have turned the upload option off without turning off the verification requirement.

I am stuck as soon as I select submit proposal. Verification pops up!  I see others are having problems as well but I don't see any solutions

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
9 of 65

Hi Phoebe, 

Were you going through any specific error when trying to upload your driver's license? If so, could you please share a screen grab of the error? 

Please make sure that the driver's license image that you are uploading meets the following requirements: 

• It's a color picture and the information on the document is clearly visible
  • The file is at least 30KB and 200 dpi
  • The format of the file is PNG, JPEG, PDF or BMP
  • All four corners of the ID are showing 

-Avery
Untitled
Maidah Z Member Since: Oct 11, 2017
10 of 65

hi,, i tred to upload my licence but it said upwork cant verify your document,, i tried 2,3 times,, and now it isnt giving me the option to upload,, it says based on your previous attempts you are not eligible for this action now,, 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS