Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Client Feedback

lrmessing
Ace Contributor
Lisa M Member Since: Apr 11, 2017
1 of 8

I finally got my first editing job a couple of weeks ago - I was invited to apply and received a contract for 10 hrs/wk. The client had one initial project for me, which I completed and with which he said he was very happy. But he then paused the contract. Being new to Upwork, I didn't understand what this meant so I contacted him to ask if he was unsatisfied with my work. He said no, that my work was excellent but that he simply had no more work at present and would be in touch as soon as he had something.

It was an interesting job and he is a very reputable client (I checked him out) and a very, very nice guy, but I'm confused because he hasn't left me any feedback. My profile says the job is still 'in progress,' even though I completed it 2 weeks ago and was paid last week - will it remain 'in progress' because it's supposed to be ongoing and is that why he hasn't left feedback? If he only had one project, why offer a contract for ongoing work? I was relying on those extra weekly funds.

Should I ask him to provide feedback? I assumed Upwork asks clients to provide feedback when they make a pymt.

Thanks!

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 8

@Lisa M wrote:

It was an interesting job and he is a very reputable client (I checked him out) and a very, very nice guy, but I'm confused because he hasn't left me any feedback. My profile says the job is still 'in progress,' even though I completed it 2 weeks ago and was paid last week - will it remain 'in progress' because it's supposed to be ongoing and is that why he hasn't left feedback? If he only had one project, why offer a contract for ongoing work? I was relying on those extra weekly funds.

Should I ask him to provide feedback? I assumed Upwork asks clients to provide feedback when they make a pymt.

Lisa, you're interpreting 'in progress' to mean 'ongoing', but it appears an open contract at Upwork is 'in progress' even if it's paused by the client. So unless the client promised you xx hours every week, he's under no obligation to send you more work until such time as he requires your services again. If you want feedback, then either you or the client will have to close the contract, but since he intends to send you additional work and he has a good reputation, the best course of action it seems to me is leave things as is and look for other work. In case you're concerned about Rising Talent status or eventual Job Success, one paused contract should have no effect.

3 of 8

Understood - thanks for the clarification, John, especially on the whole 'in progress' status and feedback thing.

I realize he's not under obligation but I don't get why he didn't just post a single job instead of offering 10 hrs/wk when he doesn't have 10 hrs/wk worth of work. If he liked my work on the single job, he could always invite me to apply for his next one rather than get my hopes up that I'd have that extra weekly income, right?

Anyway, I will, as you suggest, leave things as is and continue to look for more work. I assume that even a job 'in progress' looks better on my profile than no job at all, right?

btw, what is a 'Power' member, as I've been identified in my title here?? I'm a 'Rising Talent' and a "Power Member' but can't get potential clients to respond to my proposals! It would be amusing if it wasn't so frustrating. Smiley Wink

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
4 of 8

@ Lisa --

I suspect that you may have a misunderstanding. Others (Mods?) may well correct me, because it may be that it is I who have the misunderstanding.

I think that the client offered you a job at 10 hours a week as way of LIMITING the hours, rather than as a way of promising/implying ongoing hours.

Here is what I mean:  The client wanted to pay you by the hour. However, I think (??) that the default value for an hourly contract is 40 hours/week. The client needed to set the hours at 10/week because his job was only a 10-hour job. Yet, he thinks that he may need you in the future, so he doesn't want to end the contract completely.

If the client leaves such a job open, an unscrupulous freelancer can do work that has NOT been assigned, and that would put the client in the unenviable position of disputing the hours logged.

I have two clients for whom I do ongoing work of just a few hours here and there. I have encouraged them to set the weekly contract at a low hourly limit, just for their own peace of mind/good business practice. (They can always increase the limit as needed.) Some weeks I work for them; other weeks they have nothing. In their cases, neither has paused his contract, but either one could do so.

Take it as a good sign that the client doesn't wish to end your association!

lrmessing
Ace Contributor
5 of 8

Ah, thanks Janean - had no idea about rules with regard to hourly jobs. It makes sense, and yes, I am glad that he hasn't closed the contract, but again, why not just post a flat rate single job? He is an experienced Upwork user and has hired many others, so I have to assume there is some benefit to doing it this way, but it's confusing to me. If he's happy with my work on one project, he can always reach out to me alone the next time he has a job, right?

I did check back and see that he hired other freelancers at same time as me to do what looks to be identical work but has closed all of their jobs and given feedback, so could this mean that he's chosen me from among a group to continue a relationship, (ala The Bachelor - ha ha!)? 

Thanks again for the info. There certainly is a learning curve here, so it's nice to have someplace to ask questions!

0ead47b3
Trish M Member Since: Oct 12, 2018
6 of 8

Hi there, 

I just found this by accident and wanted to chime in as this is exactly what I do.  I have a limit of 10 hours in order to keep to my own budget.  I have freelancers who do work for me on an as-needed basis. 

I don't think it's a good idea to rely on income from anyone on here.  The idea behind Upwork is the flexibility to hire on an as-needed basis.  

Trish

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 8

@Lisa M wrote:

btw, what is a 'Power' member, as I've been identified in my title here?? I'm a 'Rising Talent' and a "Power Member' but can't get potential clients to respond to my proposals! It would be amusing if it wasn't so frustrating. Smiley Wink

You can look up the official explanation elsewhere in the forum, but in your case 'Power Member' probably means you posted more than once here. It's as meaningful as the "Community Guru" you see below my name.

8 of 8

Yes, I just looked it up. But even though, as I read in one of your posts about the titles, you're "immune to flattery,"  you do seem to be a Guru, of sorts. Cat Wink Thanks for your help and quick response, John!