🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Connects
Page options
e666426c
Community Member

Connects

Hello, I am new here. I just signed up but I have a few questions. What happens when we, send proposal to a job and it takes our connects and if our bid is not accepted. Would we get back our connects or not?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
759e32fa

Hi Aisha,

Welcome to Upwork!

To add to what Peter and Martina said, Connects are not refunded when your bid was not accepted. However, when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service, we do refund the Connects.

There are also ways on how you can earn free Connects such as winning an interview, submitting a proposal to an interview you got invited to and completing an Upwork Skill Certification.

Here’s how it works:

1. Submit a proposal to a job
2. Receive a request from a client to interview
3. Respond, connect, and earn a bonus of 10 Connects!

Note: Connects will be automatically added to your account -- please allow up to 24 hours. You can earn up to 50 Connects every seven days!

Feel free to check out this help article for more information on Connects.

~ AJ
Upwork

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Maybe. If the job is removed by Upwork for being a scam for violating their ToS, you get them back. And if the job just sits there for many months with no hires, or if the client removes it without hiring anyone, you get them back. But if I'm wrong in any of this, someone else will weigh in with the correct information. But getting them back can take awhile. And since you're new, please read this to stay safe here: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Peter G wrote:

And if the job just sits there for many months with no hires, you get them back. But if I'm wrong in any of this, someone else will weigh in with the correct information.

You're wrong.

Jobs expire after 30 days of no activity. You don't get the connects back for expired job posts.

Notin my case. I havent received a single refund for the recent jobs that I applied for that were later flagged as scams. I was also told that I had received 10 connects free every month. Thatis not the case as my account still shows zero. 🤔 Hard to find a contact email for Upwork.

Hi Malcolm,

Thank you for your message. I see that the Connects for canceled jobs are credited to your Upwork account. You can refer to Connect History page for more information.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

If a job expires after 30 days of inactivity, you don't get the connects back. 

759e32fa

Hi Aisha,

Welcome to Upwork!

To add to what Peter and Martina said, Connects are not refunded when your bid was not accepted. However, when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service, we do refund the Connects.

There are also ways on how you can earn free Connects such as winning an interview, submitting a proposal to an interview you got invited to and completing an Upwork Skill Certification.

Here’s how it works:

1. Submit a proposal to a job
2. Receive a request from a client to interview
3. Respond, connect, and earn a bonus of 10 Connects!

Note: Connects will be automatically added to your account -- please allow up to 24 hours. You can earn up to 50 Connects every seven days!

Feel free to check out this help article for more information on Connects.

~ AJ
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Annie Jane B wrote:

There are also ways on how you can earn free Connects such as winning an interview, submitting a proposal to an interview you got invited to

Nope, you do NOT get free connects for responding to an invite to apply.

Winning an interview is also not enough, You have to have forst applied, then received a response from the client, then have replied to that.

97d2c719
Community Member

Do you know what's crazy? This feature seemed to work when I first bought the subscription and now it feels like it's slowed down a lot! like I interview or respond or up in proposals and never get connects back anymore and never get them for interviews anymore.

Please will I get my connects back if i withdraw the proposal?

Hi Mary,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Connects are not returned when a freelancer withdraws their proposals. Please note that we only return Connects when a client or Upwork closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. You can find more information here.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi Annie Jane,

so what does it mean "You've been outbid to boost your proposal"? with the return connects? I don't understand if the client closed the job or rejected my proposal.

Thank you in advance,

Sonia

Hi Sonia,

We designed this feature to help you make the most out of your Connects. If you are owed a refund of Connects, you will be refunded for the entire amount you bid, then charged the correct amount. You can always check your Connects by going to Reports > Connects History.

Refunds are issued if:

• You didn’t bid enough to make the top three spots at all. You’ll be refunded the amount of Connects you boosted, but not the amount of Connects it cost to submit a proposal.
  • You earned a boosted spot temporarily, but the client never interacted with your proposal and you were bumped out of the boosted spot before the auction closed. You’ll be refunded the amount of Connects you boosted, but not the amount of Connects it cost to submit a proposal.
  • Your bid was above the third highest bidder. We’ll only charge you the lowest of the top three bidders and refund the rest. For example, you bid 10 Connects and the next highest bids are 8 and 7. All three of you will only pay 7 Connects to have your proposal promoted, meaning you’ll be refunded the 3 extra Connects you bid. This will display as a refund of the full amount you bid to boost (10) and then a charge of what you owe in the end (7).
  • You bid for a job that we end up removing due to a Terms of Service violation. You’ll be refunded both the boosted Connects and the cost of submitting the proposal.

You can find more information in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hi Annie,

I have an issue trying to buy new Connects: whenever I hit the buy button I'm redirected to the proposal telling me I don't have enough Connects!! How can I buy?

Regards, Britta 

Hi Britta,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Could you please try purchasing Connects by following the steps below? 

You can fund more information in this help article. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

Yes I do the same problem as you had buying connects is hard to do and also if not enough available bid 

Hello Annie,

I am new user ok, i update form for buying connect but no response. Please look this.

My registered email ;- **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Dwarika,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It looks like you haven't added any billing method in order to purchase Connects. 

Please add a billing method to your account first by going to this page, click on "Add a New Billing Method" and enter your bank details.

Connects cost $0.15 (USD) each and are sold in bundles of 10, 20, 40, 60, and 80. Agencies can also purchase bundles of 150 or 300, if their balance allows. To purchase additional Connects:

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select Memberships & Connects
  3. Click Add More Connects

Once you’ve selected the bundle you wish to purchase, click Add Connects and your account will automatically be charged.

You may also check this article for more information.

~ AJ
Upwork
valemor
Community Member

Hi, why you change the terms on how to get connects? Before being active on the platform was a plus, now it is really difficult to search for a job and apply. Each job requires 10 or more connects, there are no way to earn connects, just a freelancer need to pay for them. Please, find a new solution, this is not working and all the freelancer are looking for other channels to find job. 

e4e168bf
Community Member

Hello,i i have been trying to buy connect since yesterday but my request is not processed, please help me on this

Hi Boluwatife,

Thank you for your message. I checked and noticed that your card has been declined. Please contact your card issuing bank to check the available limit and permission to complete international transactions. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
lmprestige
Community Member

Hello, I want to know will I get a refund of connect if I bid on a job and immediately am outbided by another freelancer?

leagegato
Community Member

Hello,

I just got back on Upwork. I applied for 2 or 3 jobs only but noticed that my connects balance is only 9  as of the time of writing. I am wondering how that happens. Will Upwork add up connects every month? How will I be able to have connects for free. 

Thank you in advance. 

Hi Lealyn, you receive ten free Connects every month at the beginning of your billing cycle. We will send you a notification in Upwork (notification bell) and an email when you earn free Connects. For more information on how this works, check out our help article here

~Andrea
Upwork
leagegato
Community Member

Thank you so much. I am learning here. 

81852f33
Community Member

We can't do get back because we buy connects and bids no longer available unless you buy it for try connect from your clients and resolve any proposal issues

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths