🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Insurance Fee
Page options
manzar1971
Community Member

Insurance Fee

A client on Upwork sent a job invite but asked me to pay an insurance fee prior to awarding the project, please guide me on what to do?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

It's a scam. 

You very likely communicated outside of upwork with this person. Don't do that again. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
martina_plaschka
Community Member

It's a scam. 

You very likely communicated outside of upwork with this person. Don't do that again. 

thank God for this ma'am it's my first time to work here in Upwork and my First time to be accepted in a job but it also asking me to oay for Insurance cars fee that is 40$ . good thing i searched about that.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "A client on Upwork sent a job invite but asked me to pay an insurance fee prior to awarding the project, please guide me on what to do?"

Manzar:
You know by now that this person is just trying to steal your money, right?

There is no work with this person. There is no opportunity to earn any money. This person is a scammer who wants you to send money to him. And then he will disappear.

Hi, Preston

The client shared his WhatsApp number and communicated there.

Thanks a lot I'm grateful to you.

Regards,

Manzar

Manzar A wrote:

Hi, Preston

The client shared his WhatsApp number and communicated there.

Thanks a lot I'm grateful to you.

Regards,

Manzar

Per upwork terms of service, that is a serious violation by both freelancer and client. 

78e639e3
Community Member

I suggest that Upwork should put a clear warning in a very distinct area, alerting freelancers on this practice and that such should be discouraged.

A warning like, "Do not transact business outside Upwork" should do.

It wouldn't. People don't read pop-ups, don't understand them, or firmly believe it does not apply to them. 

And even less of them read pop-ups that don't even exist. Can't hurt to try, could possibly help, at least a little.

511efe11
Community Member

I also experienced likewise. Just this morning I received a job offer from a certain **Edited for Community Guidelines** for an encoding job. The offer seemed nice but for a transcript of five screenshots worth $550.00, I have to pay $50 insurance fee because "it is an assurance that I will do the job." In the description provided, the last sentence instructs to chat directly through a Telegram link provided, which I did. Luckily, I searched regarding about this and learned that this is indeed, a scam.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

elisa_b
Community Member

"the last sentence instructs to chat directly through a Telegram link provided, which I did"

Great, you violated the terms of service. This is not allowed. Please familiarise yourself with the rules of the platform before being scammed or suspended.

Your screenshots will be removed, but I managed to see them before that. Content and graphics seem to have been created by a clumsy 5-year-old kid. This job offer screams "scam" from everywhere: a Telegram link, an employer located in the French town of Manchester (!!) and 87 jobs posted with $0 total spent.

Please read this before getting into trouble:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

511efe11
Community Member

Hello, Elisa! Good day. I would like to ask if I am going to be sanctioned because of this?

elisa_b
Community Member

I don't know, maybe if this is the first time they will not take any action. But you will have to be extremely cautious in the future. 

511efe11
Community Member

Thank you, Elisa. 

511efe11
Community Member

Also, apologies for posting screenshots and the employer's name. I won't be doing it next time. I have already read the rules.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths