cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Legit Work

angelasmithplano
Angela S Member Since: Nov 14, 2016
1 of 7

Has anyone truly gotten hired and paid via the websites terms and conditions? I have received 6 invitations to interview and they are all scams. Just wondering is this just a waste of time.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 7

The answer to your question:  Of course.  When you are new, you will often get invitations for scam jobs.  My advice would be to pretty much ignore invitations at this point and send well-crafted proposals to jobs that interest you and that you can do well.

Data entry jobs really attract scammers.  You might want to remove that...

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 7

re: "Has anyone truly gotten hired and paid via the websites terms and conditions?"

Yes, of course.

Feel free to check the work history section on my profile page.

The freelancers and clients on Upwork are predominantly very legitimate, very professional people.

You are an entry-level newbie. You are being targeted with bogus invitations. This is normal. What you need to do is to ignore all invitations and focus only on jobs you personally apply to. Half of those will be legitimate.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
4 of 7

As Preston says, there are many of us here who do quite well. Clients will take you more seriously if you raise your rates to reflect your skills and location. $5 an hour will attract cheap clients and PITA jobs.

The first paragraph of your profile is wasted talking about your awards - better to write about what you can offer to clients right up front.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 7

Angela,

At least you didn't fall for the scams -- new freelancers do fall for them regularly and that's why they're targeted. I wish you luck going forward and encourage you to heed the good advice you've received here.

Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 7

Adding to all the advice. The categories you have listed are the ones that are most commonly targeted by the scammers. Remove data entry ( the big scammer magnet) and concentrate on administrative support. Your profile (which is good - just needs rejigging) should convince a client that you are THE person he or she is looking for to make their business run smoothly. Up your rates to at least $16 - $20 - which is still quite low.

Don't forget that people who use freelancers from this site, are saving themselves a fortune in overheads. What is more, after Upwork service charges you will have tax charges, and you are not going to get much change from an hourly rate of $5.00. 

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 7

You can see a great list of tips and warning signs in this thread: Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs. The post was written by Lena, an Upwork community moderator.