๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป New to Upwork ยป Multiple freelancers have been hired by clien...
Page options
Sandaruwan I Community Member

Multiple freelancers have been hired by client for one job

Hello,

I got my first job around 2 weeks ago. The job was to do a MEP design for a house. There were 3 main tasks and there were 3 milestones for the same. But first 2 milestones were due on 2 days after accepting the offer. Both were had to be submitted on the same date. 3rd milestone was scheduled just after a day. I worked simultaneously for all milestones since target was very tight. But they funded only for 1st milestone. However, I submitted 1st milestone and requested for the payment. After first submission client didnโ€™t activate the 2nd milestone which was scheduled on the same date. Even on that situation, I completed all work from my side since schedule is very tight.

When I asked about the activation of the second milestone, client said that my first submission has to be reviewed by their experts. But client informed me that keep continue the work for next milestone. 8 days are gone. No response from the client. I checked the job post again. Suddenly I found that they have hired another person for this same job. But it is not required 2 freelancers for this job. I have few concerns.  

1. Is it possible for them to cancel my contract without paying for 1st milestone since they have already hired another freelancer?
  2. If they suspend my contract, will it be effected for my ratings? My major concern is my rating since this is my first project. What should I do?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Preston H Community Member

re: "If they suspend my contract, will it be effected for my ratings? My major concern is my rating since this is my first project. What should I do?"

If the client hired you to do 10 milestones, and then STOPS the contract after you have done only one milestone, then there will be NO NEGATIVE IMPACT on your JSS.

If you get paid even one dollar, then this contract will NOT count as a zero-pay contract. Zero-pay contracts have a negative impact on JSS.

Contracts that pay less than was planned... No negative impact at all.
Fewer milestones than planned? No negative impact at all.

So it does not really matter if a contract is "stopped" or "ended" or "concluded" or "suspended". What matters is whether you were paid or not.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

re: "Multiple freelancers have been hired by client for one job"

Clients may hire as many freelancers as they want to for one job.

As a client, I have hired up to about 20 freelancers for a single job.

re: "I worked simultaneously for all milestones since target was very tight. But they funded only for 1st milestone. However, I submitted 1st milestone and requested for the payment."

If you worked on multiple milestones, including unfunded milestones, then that was your choice. But you were using the Upwork system incorrectly.

Freelancers are supposed to work only on funded milestones.

Here is an example:
Client sets up project with 3 milestones. Total is $500.
Cient funds first milestone, for $50.

Freelancer does all 3 milestones and turns them in all at once.
Client releases $50 and closes the contract.

Wait! What?? Can a client do that?
Yes.

Will Upwork intervene?
No.

If the freelancer wants to get paid an additional $450, then that is between the freelancer and the client. The freelancer may ASK the client to pay an additional $450. The client may pay by issuing a bonus through Upwork. Or by creating a new contract, new milestones, etc. But as far as Upwork is concerned, the matter is over. Because Upwork only is involved with FUNDED milestones.

No. For this project, it is not required to hire 2 freelancers. 

I don't worry about 2 unfunded milestones. I'm worring about first milestone which I have done and submited.

I wanted to know, if client close the contract, will it be effected to degrade my ratings in future?

re: "For this project, it is not required to hire 2 freelancers."

I did not say that it was required to hire 2 freelancers.

I threw a birthday party. I hired two bakers to bake two different cakes.

Was it required to have two cakes?
No.

But I was the one hosting the party.
I can do anything I want to do.

One of the bakers complained. She asked: "Why did you hire another baker?"

I said: "Because I wanted to."

If I hire one baker to bake a cake for $50... Then that is her job. There was nothing in my contract that stiuplated that she would be the only baker to bake a cake for the party. As long as I pay her $50 for her cake, that is the extent of my contract with her.

She found out that I hired another baker to bake a cake, and I paid that baker $500.

What could the first baker do about it? Nothing.

It's my party. I'll hire who I want to.

re: "Is it possible for them to cancel my contract without paying for 1st milestone since they have already hired another freelancer?"

No.

The client can not do that.

The client can not unilaterally cancel your contract without paying for the first milestone.

The client's credit card was ALREADY CHARGED for that milestone. That money is in an escrow account, and is assigned to be released to YOU. That money has your name on it.

So it doesn't matter whether or not somebody else does the same task.

The client needs to release that money to you.

The only things that can happen are:
a) release the money for the first milestone to you

b) ASK you to refund the money for that milestone and then you say YES

c) ask you to refund the money for the first milestone, and you say no, and then a dispute is triggered.

From what you said in the original post, there is no reason for me to believe that the client is trying to avoid paying you the first milestone.

If the client releases the first milestone payment to you, then as far as Upwork is concerned, the client has done nothing wrong.

re: "If they suspend my contract, will it be effected for my ratings? My major concern is my rating since this is my first project. What should I do?"

re: "I wanted to know, if client close the contract, will it be effected to degrade my ratings in future?"

No. It's fine.

The important thing is that you were paid SOMETHING.
That way you don't have a zero-pay contract.
If the client releases all or part of the first milestone payment to you, then your score will NOT be negatively impacted. You just want to make sure you don't have a zero-pay contract.

And if you work with the client, and go along with their plans, then they're likely to be appreciative and give you positive feedback, which will HELP your JSS score.

There is NO IMPACT to JSS if the client plans 10 milestones and then only pays you for one. It just doesn't matter.

Okay.

I cleared my first concern.

How about my second concern?

"If they suspend my contract, will it be effected for my ratings? My major concern is my rating since this is my first project. What should I do?"

If the client hired you to do 10 milestones, and then STOPS the contract after you have done only one milestone, then there will be NO NEGATIVE IMPACT on your JSS.

If you get paid even one dollar, then this contract will NOT count as a zero-pay contract. Zero-pay contracts have a negative impact on JSS.

Contracts that pay less than was planned... No negative impact at all.
Fewer milestones than planned? No negative impact at all.

So it does not really matter if a contract is "stopped" or "ended" or "concluded" or "suspended". What matters is whether you were paid or not.

Thank you very much for your explanation!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths