🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » New on Upwork - looking for advice
Page options
Marina F Community Member

New on Upwork - looking for advice

Hello!

I hope you have a great weekend!

I’m new to Upwork and would like to get some advice.

I’ve filled out my profile (partially). I didn’t fill out the work experience because when I created my profile, the site told me not to upload my resume.

I’ve submitted 19 proposals and nobody contacted me. I would like to get some advice/input/suggestions on what can I do to gain work and clients.

Thank you for your time!

Marina
8 REPLIES 8
Melanie M Community Member

Hi Marina and welcome! Make your profile public so we can take a look at it and possibly offer some advice.

Marina F Community Member

Hi!

Thank you for replying back to me.

I’ve made my profile public. Please take a look and let me know your thoughts/suggestions.

Thank you!
Umer K Community Member

I am going through a similar scenario, I have so far applied all the tips that were available online but nothing so far has worked.  

Prachi T Community Member

Hi Umer,

I suggest you be dedicated to something rather than being dedicated on.

Just saying.

Perhaps, more experienced members might be able to give even more specific insights.

Sopheak D Community Member

So am I. I've been trying everything by reading many articles and tips to get the clients to response my proposals and I got nothing. I am so desperate.

Md. Morshed A Community Member

@Marina F wrote:

I’ve submitted 19 proposals and nobody contacted me. I would like to get some advice/input/suggestions on what can I do to gain work and clients.

@Umer K wrote:
I am going through a similar scenario, I have so far applied all the tips that were available online but nothing so far has worked.  

I get my first job after 4 months of trying. What are you going to say about that? Keep trying and be confident in your cover letter. There are too much competition here. So, you need some favour of your luck for the first time. Who knows, maybe your next try can get you a job! Do not be frustrated. Believe in yourself. Good Luck.

Shubham G Community Member

Hi Marina,

I visited your profile. I have some inputs for you.

- In your title, you mentioned as data entry expert. In data entry , you need to have competitive profile rate, strong and specific portfolio. 

- Build your portfolio according to your offerings e.g. 1. convert file to pdf, in your profile put a screenshot of both .docx an .pdf file, 2. create tables and charts

- Tests - Giving tests is so much important. Tests score on your profile, builds trust around your skills,

give tests.

- As you are MBA, you can try finding jobs in writing business proposals, financial/ business consultantant. Try searching these tags (related to your skills) in "find jobs" section. According to that you can change your title and offerings.

- For writing good proposals, refer:https://www.upwork.com/hiring/for-freelancers/how-to-create-a-proposal-that-wins-jobs/

- While finding the jobs, Use filters as proposals less than 5, where competition is less. 

Hope this helps you:-)

Martina P Community Member

@Marina F wrote:
Hello!

I hope you have a great weekend!

I’m new to Upwork and would like to get some advice.

I’ve filled out my profile (partially). I didn’t fill out the work experience because when I created my profile, the site told me not to upload my resume.

Thank you for your time!

Marina

Hi Marina, you have a master's degree in finance, yet your main skill is data entry at a very low hourly rate.

It just looks weird. Clients don't want to scroll down in your list of skill to see if they find anything that fits.

You have likely a few 100K other freelancers competing for data entry jobs, and their hourly rates might even be lower.

I suggest you concentrate on more specified skills consumerate with your education, and charge a higher rate. 

(I understand why you do it. You just want to earn a few dollars, which would be fun, but you won't starve without that upwork income. You need to change your mind-set and look at this from a client's perspective. You can still have fun and earn a few dollars if you have a serious attitude and present professionally.)

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths