Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT : Question on 'Active Candidacy'

Ace Contributor
Jacques B Member Since: Jan 28, 2017
1 of 7

Hey, 

I have recently joined the site and today I got my first reply , the proposal now passed into the 'active candidacy' tab. So far so good. 

Now comes the part I don't understand. 

I told the client I would take the job and that I could start work immediately.

They haven't acknowledged yet which is ok , it has only been a couple of hours.

Now the question : How do I know I can start working? Does the status (meaning the 'active candidacy') change ? 

Do I get a notification the client has hired me and that I can start going to work ? 

I'm not sure I should start working yet since it's still in the active candidacy tab.

Please help, it's quite urgent. Since if the client thinks I'm already working on it I'm gonna be late.

Thank you very much.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 7

Do not start working.

View solution in original post

Ace Contributor
3 of 7

I figured. 

So how do I know when to ? 

Community Guru
4 of 7

You do not get paid for an active candidacy.

You get paid for a job that is listed on your "My Jobs" page.

The client must send you an official hire offer, which you must accept with an official green Upwork button.

Ace Contributor
5 of 7

There you go that's what I was looking for. 

It seemed odd, and it is not shown that clearly anywhere in my profile that I now how to wait for the contract. 

Thanks for you help. =)

Community Guru
6 of 7

Hourly contracts: Do NOT start working until the clients status shows up as "Payment Verified."

Do not work unless you log your time with the time-tracker.

When you understand Upwork more and understand the implications, you may use manually logged time.

Fixed-price contracts: ONLY the funded amount, the amount in escrow, is how much you will get paid.

If the project budget is $100, and if the client promised to pay you $200, but the funded amount is $30, that means you will be paid $30.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 7

@Preston H wrote:

1) Hourly contracts: Do NOT start working until the clients status shows up as "Payment Verified."

2) Fixed-price contracts: ONLY the funded amount, the amount in escrow, is how much you will get paid.

If the project budget is $100, and if the client promised to pay you $200, but the funded amount is $30, that means you will be paid $30.

1) ANY contract: Do not start working until payment method is verified. Clients can fund fixed rate contracts before verification, but the funded amount can NEVER be released until verification is complete.

2) This is not how the way multi-milestone contracts can work. Some clients fund a whole project upfront, but most fund only the first milestone and there is nothing wrong with that, nor does it mean you'll not be paid more than the first milestone. It just means that all that is protected at that stage is what is funded.

ONLY do the work that corresponds with the funded amount, as Preston says, but that does not mean it is all you will get paid.

Many clients set a contract with an overall budget, cut up into several milestones, and fund each milestone as the last one gets approved. It is perfectly normal and safe to work that way, provided you never submit more work than is funded on each milestone, and don't hand over further work until the milestone for it has been set up and funded.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS