cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus sent by Freelancer

Highlighted
Chris A Member Since: Nov 21, 2016
1 of 4

OK, so I hired a freelancer for a job. They took a few days to complete the job and then gave me a link to dropbox to download the file. After I downloaded the file AVG said it contained a virus called FakeAlert.

My question is how do I contact Upwork to report this guy? Or do you think someone could have hacked into his dropbox and changed the file?

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
2 of 4

Hey Chris,

Open a ticket with customer support so they can investigate this for you at Support.upwork.com

-Lena

Untitled
Highlighted
Rishab B Member Since: Oct 20, 2016
3 of 4

Hi Chris

its not possible that anyone hacked Dropbox to send you the virus.

I also think that it is highly unlikely that the guy sent you the virus intentionally.

I think the most possible thing that happened is that the guy had an infected computer and transmitted the virus to you unintentionally. Reporting it to Upwork wouldnt be a good idea. Just talk to the freelancer about it. I dont think he knows that this happened. Tell him to fix his system and get rid of any errors.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
4 of 4

@Rishab B wrote:

I also think that it is highly unlikely that the guy sent you the virus intentionally.

You have no way to know and in any case a freelancer is a professional supposed to take care of their business so they don't hurt the client.

Professional online workers have an antivirus, they scan their computer on a regular basis and make sure that no viruses are sent to their clients. Failing to do this is totally unacceptable and should be reported.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless