🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » work without bank account
Page options
hv2292015
Community Member

work without bank account

I haven't open my bank account yet. it will take a couple of days to open my bank account... m i eligible to submit a proposal ??? please help

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
husainaa
Community Member

The only reason you need to set up a payment method (such as a bank account) is to withdraw the money you earned. When it comes to job postings with a verified billing method, the money is held in Escrow before they are finally released and deposited in your Upwork account.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
jojomo
Community Member

Hi Shobha,

Do you have a Paypal account? You can link to your Paypal if you want. Yes you should be able to apply to jobs as in the event of you getting hired, it will take a while for your funds to be processed whether it's a fixed rate contract or an hourly job.

I recommend you read up on how Upwork payments work etc. 

Community Member

Hi Joëlle O

if I'm working but have not set any payment method, will my money be safe like in some kind of Upwork Account or I'd not be able to take my hard earned money.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Muhammad, 

Upwork is not a bank account, and will be unable to store your earnings indefinitely. Please update your account with your payment method information once you have a bank account, or a Paypal/Payoneer account setup. 

~ Avery
Upwork

hi can i still get my earning after  1year  of not claiming it ?

Hi Marlon,

Thank you for reaching out to us with this question. Upwork is not able to keep freelancers' funds indefinitely, so after 180 days funds on freelancer Upwork account will be sent to their withdrawal method automatically

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
dd2b2481
Community Member

Well it's getting so that PayPal won't let you set up an account without a verified bank account, so that's out if you can't set up a bank account in any way, shape or form because you can't get a Social Security number because Social Security won't accept passports as your only proof of identity which they're supposed to. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Your ability to send a proposal is based on your profile status... whether it is approved and active or not.

It is not based on your payment withdrawal method being ready or not. People can submit proposals and can earn money without having a valid payment withdrawal method in place.

Your payment withdrawal method does NOT need to be a bank account. PayPal and other methods can be used. Read this:

Select how You Get Paid

husainaa
Community Member

The only reason you need to set up a payment method (such as a bank account) is to withdraw the money you earned. When it comes to job postings with a verified billing method, the money is held in Escrow before they are finally released and deposited in your Upwork account.
lucifercosta10
Community Member

Yes! 
You can work on Upwork without adding a bank account and you can submit proposals too 

But how when I summit proposal and work where the client send my money if I not add bank account plz answer

Hi Mushtaq,

Once you receive a payment on a contract, the funds will be in your Upwork balance that you can withdraw later. Note that as per our Terms of Servicewe cannot hold your funds for longer than 180 days. You can check this article to learn more on how you're getting paid on Fixed-Price contracts and this one for Hourly ones.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

180 days is not enough to convince PayPal to let you open a 'real' PayPal account when no 'real' bank wants your business because they too don't accept passports to open an account. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths