🐈
» Support » Resources » Tax Support Center » Reporting Income from Upwork and Form W-9 (U....
Page options

Reporting Income from Upwork

If you are a U.S. person earning money through Upwork, you must report this income on your tax return even if you do not receive forms from us. Some freelancers will receive a 1099-K form, which is used to report payments made to U.S. taxpayers to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Freelancers: You will receive a 1099-K form from us if you earn at least $20,000 in gross payments from your clients on Upwork in the calendar year that included 200 or more transactions. While completing the form, consider this:

• For total payments received, use the Transaction History report filtered by credits

• For total billings (including fees, but subtracting refunds), use the Billings and Earnings report

Clients: If you determined that your freelancer is an employee, they must be hired through   Upwork Payroll . With Upwork Payroll, our staffing provider will handle all of the withholding and payment of taxes and provide a W-2 form. Freelancers, including those who earn $20,000 or more, will not receive a Form 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC from Upwork, and you are not required to send the form to freelancers.

Form W-9

Form W-9 is a U.S. tax form for U.S. persons. Upwork and the IRS use this form to determine what taxes, if any, we need to collect from your earnings on Upwork. Without this form as proof that you are a U.S. person, Upwork is required to withhold and remit taxes from your payments to the IRS at a pre-set tax rate. You must have Form W-9 on file before you can withdraw earnings from Upwork.

Please note that this information is for general guidance only, and for specific tax advice, consult your local tax authority or a tax advisor.

Frequently asked questions

Why is my income that I withdrew using PayPal not showing on my Form 1099-K from Upwork?

How do I make sure that I receive my Form 1099-K from Upwork?

Why is it important that I ensure my tax information is updated?

How will you distribute my Form 1099-K, and when will I receive it?

Does this mean I have to report my income to the IRS even if I only make a small amount on Upwork?

Why is the amount that Upwork deducted from my earnings for service fees included in what you reported on Form 1099-K?

Why are payments that I refunded to a client showing on my Form 1099-K?

What counts as a transaction on Form 1099-K?