Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Contracts now live for all freelancers

machin86
Machinmi R Member Since: Aug 31, 2020
281 of 357

Hi,

Yes that is the error which she get while making the payment and direct contract ID: 1375101075994677248 

How to resolve this issue.

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
282 of 357

Thank you for following up, MacHin,

We’ll have one of our agents reach out to your client via email to assist them with this concern. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
ezrakipkirui
Kipkirui E Member Since: May 10, 2018
283 of 357
Hello. I also got the same error from my direct contract. Worse, she says her card keeps getting charged the full amount every time it is declined
Contract 1385812164703469568
egaruth
Nikola S Moderator Member Since: Jul 2, 2020
284 of 357

Hi Kipkirui,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information and the email of the client you are referring to? I will be sure to look into your report and escalate it accordingly.

~ Nikola

Untitled
sergio-soria
Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
285 of 357

Hello, I hope someone from Upwork can reply. I've been off the forum for some time though I have read this whole thread (29 pages) and also the article about Direct Contracts. I have a client outside Upwork so I need to know if this would really work for me or not. These are my questions:

1) Read in this thread the Direct Contracts are not really available in certain locations. The article reads it is available in 180+ countries. Maybe the article is more up to date but I don't know. It would be nice to see a list of countries if some are banned. Please confirm.

2) Towards the end of the thread it reads some clients are being charged a 6% fee while originally there was no fee for the client at all! It doesn't sound professional to talk to the client and say it will be free of charge just to let them get that surprise afterwards. Is there a fee for the client or not? If the fee is for "selected" clients then I would take it as it is for all of them since I don't like a random algorithm to decide.

3) If previous point is true and that will be the norm then it looks like having your client make a full account in Upwork is much better than Direct Contracts. By the way, is the "Bring Your Own Client" program still running? Because I don't see it anywhere now. I know it was only for TR freelancers but I am.

4) Is there any step-by-step article with images or video by Upwork where we can see the process from the client side, either for Direct Contracts or for creating an account, setting contract, etc.? I've been searching, because my client is not really computer savvy so I want to do it as smooth as possible for them.

Thank you!

pradeephele
Pradeep H Moderator Member Since: Jan 11, 2021
286 of 357

Hello Sergio,

Thank you for your message.

1. US Federal Law restricts Upwork from conducting business with individuals and entities based in certain countries. You can learn more here. Direct Contracts are available for all users from other locations where Upwork offers services and have payment partners to complete the transactions. 

2. We will be asking clients who start new Direct Contracts to begin paying a small processing fee on the payments they make to their freelancer(s). We are currently building this option into our site, and testing it out with select Direct Contracts to start. In the future, a payment processing fee for clients will be added to all new Direct Contracts. When that occurs, we will be sure to update all communications, Help articles, etc., to share the fee amount that we decide upon. In the meantime, we welcome your feedback about all things Direct Contracts, so please feel free to share it!

3. BYOC is still available for Rising Talent and Top Rated Freelancers. If you have been issued a personal link before, you can still use the same link for your clients outside Upwork. As for the benefit of Direct Contracts, Direct contracts will only charge you 3.4% on service fees.

4. You can refer to Direct Contract Help page for more information.

Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Pradeep H.

Untitled
ivanol
Ivan I Member Since: May 6, 2021
287 of 357

Hello I start direct contract with client. And client tell me that upwork charged from him 6% for services. But upwork manual talk about 3.4% for freelancer, no fee for client. Can you please explain me what does it mean?

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
288 of 357

Hi Ivan,

We will be asking clients who start new Direct Contracts to begin paying a small processing fee on the payments they make to their freelancer(s). We are currently building this option into our site, and testing it out with select Direct Contracts to start. In the future, a payment processing fee for clients will be added to all new Direct Contracts. When that occurs, we will be sure to update all communications, Help articles, etc., to share the fee amount that we decide upon. In the meantime, we welcome your feedback about all things Direct Contracts, so please feel free to share it! Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
ivanol
Ivan I Member Since: May 6, 2021
289 of 357

That is, it turns out that this article https://www.upwork.com/direct-contracts  is misleading all, both clients and freelancers.
In addition, the commission for the client at the moment is 6%. For freelancer 3.4%.

As a result, the total commission for the contract is 9.4%. This does not correspond to the stated conditions at all

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
290 of 357

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for reporting and apologies for this oversight and frustrating it has caused you.

We've updated the client fee information on the landing page you shared and now it's accurate and consistent with our other resources on this topic. 

Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS