Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job size will now be factored into your JSS

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
1 of 675

UPDATE: The JSS Metric has been updated to reflect the changes that were announced below. As of today, March 1st, all Job Success Scores are now displaying the updated value.

We will soon update JSS metrics to reflect job value in the calculation. Today, a one-week $20 job typically carries the same weight as a one-week $1,000 job in JSS. Soon, JSS will be weighted by job earnings. For example, a one-week $1,000 job will be weighted more than a one-week $20 job. JSS will also exclude contracts with $0 earned and positive feedback. All other JSS policies will remain unchanged.

What does this mean?

We are making this change so a freelancer’s Job Success Score will display a more comprehensive representation of their freelancer workWe understand not all jobs are equal. We know higher budget contracts require more work and freelancers who complete these more complex contracts successfully should get credit for them. Just as longer-term contracts hold more weight in JSS calculations than shorter ones, we believe contract value should also hold significance in the calculation. By giving these jobs more weight, these jobs will have a greater influence on a JSS. 

Many freelancers will see an increase in their scores if they’ve successfully completed higher budget contracts in the past. At the same time, a small percentage of freelancers may lose their JSS, see a drop in their scores, or lose their Top Rated badge. Today, we are emailing freelancers whose JSS will see a decline of 5% or more, to let them know they will be affected.  Freelancers that see a drop in their score can improve their JSS by completing more jobs with positive feedback, as it works today. Larger budget contracts with positive feedback will result in a higher increase in JSS, however, all great feedback contributes to JSS and whether you work on large or small contracts you can still reach 100% JSS.

This change will take effect in March, at which time all Job Success Scores will be updated retroactively. We know many of you will have questions about this update. We won’t be able to discuss your individual score or outcomes of specific contracts. We have listed some anticipated questions below, let us know if you have any additional questions.

FAQS:

Can I know what my new JSS is now before this launches?

We will not be able to provide you with your updated score until the JSS calculation refreshes at launch, in March.

Does this mean if I don’t get big contracts I’ll never be able to get a JSS of 100%?

Receiving stellar feedback on smaller budget jobs can still get you to a JSS of 100%. We are only changing the impact of jobs based on earnings. This means that strong client feedback on a higher-budget job could boost your score more than a lower-budget job. All other aspects of JSS will remain the same.

How will I know if it affects me?

The majority of freelancers will be affected positively by this change and will see an increase in their scores. We are sending out emails to those who will likely see a drop in their score once the new JSS calculation goes into effect in March. 

Can this affect me positively, will my JSS go up?

Yes! The vast majority of freelancers on the platform will see an increase or very little change in their scores. This is because you may have worked on one or more higher paying contracts in the past, and because you received great feedback that great feedback is being weighted more. 

Can I lose my JSS?

A small percentage of freelancers may lose their JSS. This is because they had one or more jobs with no earnings. Positive feedback on contracts with no earnings will not be factored into JSS once we move to the new calculation. As a result, some freelancers won’t have enough outcomes to be eligible for a JSS until they successfully complete more jobs. Nearly all freelancers have scores after completing eight projects. 

How does weighting work specifically? 

To ensure fairness and avoid manipulation, we don’t share the specifics about how we calculate the Job Success Score. Thanks for your understanding.

So if I take a bigger job and get negative feedback that counts more than positive feedback on smaller jobs?
Yes. A job with higher earnings will always impact your Job Success Score (JSS) more than a smaller job. For example, feedback on a $1,000 job carries more weight on your JSS compared to a $20 job. However, receiving poor feedback on a job with more earnings can be balanced out by doing well on a job of the same size in the future or on a number of smaller jobs. 

Can I lose my Top Rated badge?

Yes, a small percentage of freelancers who see a decline in their JSS may drop below 90% and lose their Top Rated badge. This is because they received less-than-positive public or private feedback on one or more of their higher-paying contracts. Feedback on contracts with higher earnings will affect JSS more after this new change.

Untitled
Highlighted
Lukas M Member Since: May 31, 2017
2 of 675

Pretty much all freelancers are very unhappy with the JSS and this step is no improvement. Just look up the JSS article of upwork, 6000+ down votes, 4000 upvotes. Lenghty discussions in forums what the heck is going on with JSS scores. The JSS isnt communicated transparently to freelancers and you are making things worse actually, because by the time people learn how it works, to correct bad JSS now requires huge jobs.

What about letting clients fix their private feedback? because private feedback isn't private if it drops your public JSS. 

This is situation is disappointing for many freelancers.

Highlighted
Michael P Member Since: Sep 16, 2019
3 of 675

Jss scores are really awful. Any **Edited for Community Guidelines** can say whatever they want. One client threatened me, another wanted free work. One was a 21 year old who knows nothing. Did you know a person can be sued for a bad review if it harms them. My clients don't need long term relationships with me. The work I do is almost always just once and that's it. I am penalized from that? Odd figuring. I am at 69 percent and have almost given up.  The success score really means how much money we can make on you and if you don't make enough, let's just make it miserable to get any work. One of the clients also recently **Edited for Community Guidelines** I met him locally. The beloved clients are **Edited for Community Guidelines**. **Edited for Community Guidelines** were treated nicer.

Highlighted
Yasir K Member Since: Dec 20, 2016
4 of 675

Upwork, give all privileges to the client. I wrote to Upwork support that I have proof that my client gave me a review which I didn't deserve but they didn't help me. There should be some mechanism that can check whether the client gives the result on the basis of the work or not. I'm talking about the worst cases. Sometimes Client gives review and ratings on the basis of their mood, which is very harsh.

Highlighted
OLIVIER R Member Since: Aug 25, 2017
5 of 675

Upwork forget who is the client >>> It's the freelancer .... 20 %of fees, paid connects for jobs- real or fake, protection ...and they doesn't care their clients. Finally, they will paid the bill... and it will be probably painfull.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Lucio Ricardo M Member Since: May 16, 2018
6 of 675

I have also such kind of "gem" clients. $50 milestones, you complete it then they disappear. He promised to catch up in Saturday. Today is monday and he has not reported. if before COVID-19 exceptional state he missed catch up dates, i don't know what to expect these times... and surely the day when he is able to come back online he will want more work for this milestone. Some clients think that we don't have bills and earning expectancies. But be for more money, harder to get and to retain clients. May upwork bias jobs into more-paying ones, instead of doing it only by the JSS scoring. Or, ¿¿isn't that feasible that higheer earnings jobs gets to us??

Highlighted
Community Guru
Brian F Member Since: Jun 4, 2013
7 of 675

Lucio Ricardo M wrote:

I have also such kind of "gem" clients. $50 milestones, you complete it then they disappear. He promised to catch up in Saturday. Today is monday and he has not reported. if before COVID-19 exceptional state he missed catch up dates, i don't know what to expect these times... and surely the day when he is able to come back online he will want more work for this milestone. Some clients think that we don't have bills and earning expectancies. But be for more money, harder to get and to retain clients. May upwork bias jobs into more-paying ones, instead of doing it only by the JSS scoring. Or, ¿¿isn't that feasible that higheer earnings jobs gets to us??

Don't ever do fixed-price.  No real protections.  Ever since they got rid of up-front payments from it, I have almost universally refused to do fixed-price.  Aways go hourly, with the limits you can still set a clear budget.

Highlighted
NAND KISHORE P Member Since: Apr 27, 2016
8 of 675

The Upwork making things worse...I am really not happy. They have already downgraded my score and am not able bid for those job required 90% success score. I also experienced fake jobs being posted on Upwork. We are loosing our connects by biding for these jobs every month. 

Highlighted
Ales H Member Since: Dec 14, 2018
9 of 675

I totaly agree! I made 28 jobs and 10k+ earned, i didnt get feedback for 5 of them (should we beg our clients for feedback???). For 23 jobs i got 5 stars feedback and for 1 job i got 3.8 stars...I have 3 jobs still in progress. There wasnt a single job which i wouldnt successfuly finish! I was top rated with 100% SUCCESS RATE, now i suddenly dropped to 85%...WTF?! I mean "SUCCESS" should really be ment as SUCCESS!

And about fake jobs... There are a lot of fake jobs. Clients should somehow obligate to really assign a job, before actually posting it.

Highlighted
Yasir K Member Since: Dec 20, 2016
10 of 675
WEll, do Agree with you. There should be some mechanisms that can help freelancers in a better way. 
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS