Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job size will now be factored into your JSS

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
51 of 880

Lena E wrote:

Just as longer-term contracts hold more weight in JSS calculations than shorter ones, we believe contract value should also hold significance in the calculation. By giving these jobs more weight, these jobs will have a greater influence on a JSS. 

Excellent news!

I have never understood why the JSS was NOT taking the size of the contract(s) into consideration!

Highlighted
Community Leader
Aleksandr H Member Since: Jan 29, 2017
52 of 880

Petra R wrote:

Lena E wrote:

Just as longer-term contracts hold more weight in JSS calculations than shorter ones, we believe contract value should also hold significance in the calculation. By giving these jobs more weight, these jobs will have a greater influence on a JSS. 

Excellent news!

I have never understood why the JSS was NOT taking the size of the contract(s) into consideration!

Because it's not an accurate measure of the quality of work that someone puts forth? I'm amazed that people find this so difficult to understand.

The changes didn't affect my JSS, thankfully, but I'm curious how they got approved in the first place. Surely there are better ways to discourage under-bidding and low-quality work on the platform?

This change does nothing but punish 1) freelancers who are new to the platform, and 2) freelancers who take on smaller gigs, which are always going to exist.

Upwork is slowly killing its own platform for beginners. Has everyone forgotten the changes to Connects that made them paid? Beginners have to work for 20% less than what they bid already; now they also have to pay for Connects and worry about their JSS dropping when they take on low-budget projects? Wow.

How do you expect beginners to compete with top dogs while putting in higher bids? If they take on low-end work just so they can build a reputation on the site, their JSS will suffer. If they don't, their JSS will suffer for lack of any recent work completed.

This is counter-productive.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
53 of 880

Hi Aleksandr,

There’s no penalty for only working small jobs. New freelancers who receive great feedback on smaller budget jobs can still get to 100% JSS and become Top Rated. This change only means that jobs with higher earnings carry more weight than small jobs when calculating JSS.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Eric B Member Since: Feb 21, 2017
54 of 880

Petra R wrote:

Lena E wrote:

Excellent news!

you're right: it seems logical that a big contract is more important than a little one but it doesn't seem logical that if you're top rated, all 5 stars with little jobs you won't be top rated anymore.

I have received an email from upwork and I'm very likely to stop being top rated which I have been for a bit more than a year, and not 13 weeks out of 16 but always 16/16. is that logical to say: that guy is a 5 stars freelancers but only does little jobs, therefore his JSS will be 82% for example. As a client, 82% sounds to me as "that guy is not a great freelancer, not really a bad one but far from being the best" when basically that client just wants something fast, cheap and well done!

That being said, very few clients give the top rated status its importance, they just want to pay as less as they can whatever the country they're from.

a few weeks ago, I was congratulated by upwork himself for my first top rated "happy birthday" and now, it's like: uh! nah! no for little players like you.  well, sometimes people need something fast, cheap and well done.

I observe a lot of noise about that new upwork thing: It's a great pleasure to read the message of my fellow freelancers.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
55 of 880

Eric B wrote:

is that logical to say: that guy is a 5 stars freelancers but only does little jobs, therefore his JSS will be 82% for example.

Hi Eric,

This change doesn't mean that it's impossible to get 100% JSS and a Top Rated status completing only smaller jobs. You can still get to 100% JSS by delivering great results on smaller budget jobs; we are just giving more weight to jobs with higher earnings.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Malvalyn R Member Since: Mar 2, 2020
56 of 880

I went from Top-Rated to 81% JSS  today  just because of this new change .....  its a sad day to be a upwork freelancer

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
57 of 880

Hi Malvalyn, 

Because we are now weighing jobs with higher earnings more if you received less than stellar feedback on one of those jobs it may have impacted your Job Success Score more. 

This change to the Job Success Score may have decreased your score but you can absolutely get your Top Rated badge back. As long as you do great work for your clients and receive great feedback -- regardless of whether it’s a low- or high-budget job -- your score will climb. 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Eric B Member Since: Feb 21, 2017
58 of 880

Valeria K wrote:

Eric B wrote:

is that logical to say: that guy is a 5 stars freelancers but only does little jobs, therefore his JSS will be 82% for example.

Hi Eric,

This change doesn't mean that it's impossible to get 100% JSS and a Top Rated status completing only smaller jobs. You can still get to 100% JSS by delivering great results on smaller budget jobs; we are just giving more weight to jobs with higher earnings.

Then I fear nothing but I don't really understand why I received that email that means I could likely lose my top rated status that I have kept constant for an entire year.

If It's just abiout giving more weight to jobs with higher earnings then it can be a good move from upwork and a lot of noise from freelancers like me is just a big misunderstanding.

Thank you, Valeria.

Highlighted
Ivan M Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
59 of 880

The only relevant indicator of the quality of the freelancer profile was the algorithm who was on oDesk
With the advent of Upwork and their policies, many profiles of serious experts have been destroyed (and mine). Many professionals are dissatisfied and some have left the platform.
Check out my ratings and customer review during oDesk and now. You are destroy professional freelancers.
I lost the will to work on a platform like this.
There are many illogicalities in your JSS that clients abuse.
I'm afraid you're going in the wrong direction again. Ever since that JSS show up I just look how to migrate from Upwork. I do this gradually because I have invested a lot of time in my freelance career.
Believe me, listen to me, bring back the oDesk algorithm.
I'm vetran freelancer, I'm not a freelancer from "yesterday".
Upwork sent me a message me to be the ambassador of Upwork in my city. I didn't answer because you never heard what freelachers think and their suggestions to perfect the platform, because it is also a part of us.

Highlighted
David A Member Since: Oct 17, 2016
60 of 880

They're making it increasingly difficult to find meaningful work.  There's no sense of looking out for the people who make this platform possible - freelancers.  The only people who will provide freelancing work here are going to be overseas contractors.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS