🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » New Upwork Skill Certifications
Page options

New Upwork Skill Certifications

lenaellis
Community Member

We have launched a new initiative to help freelancers showcase their expertise by earning an Upwork Skill Certification. These skill certifications highlight talent that has demonstrated competency in their field by passing a rigorous skill assessment or sample work review, evaluated by domain experts in their field.

Currently, Upwork Skill Certifications are available for certain skills in the Web & Mobile Software Development (WMSD) and Design & Creative fields. For WMSD, certification is a two-step process that takes 2 to 3 hours. Participants must achieve a passing score on two timed and proctored coding tests. Design & Creative talent must achieve a passing score on their Upwork portfolio, which is evaluated by a panel of third-party domain experts. You can learn more about Upwork Skill Certifications here. Given the intricacy of having skills assessed, these certifications are exclusively invite-only at this time.  

Upwork Skill Certifications will display on your Upwork profile in the certifications area.

Here is an example of a Microsoft certification on a profile. Upwork Skills Certifications will appear in a similar format but with an Upwork badge for the specialized certification. 

Sample existing certification

MS Certifications.png

Sample Upwork Skills Certification Badge

Skill Certification.png

Upwork Skill Certifications are currently available in 10 software development languages and 16 design and creative skills. 

Upwork Skill Certifications in Web & Mobile Software Development test for individual proficiency in a particular language or technology. Assessment methodology varies by skill, using a combination of timed, proctored tests and in some cases, technical interviews. 

• Android, Java
  • Android, Kotlin
  • iOS, Objective-C
  • iOS, Swift
  • C#, Desktop Software Development
  • C++, Desktop Software Development
  • Java Back-end Development
  • JavaScript Back-end Development
  • JavaScript Front-end Development
  • PHP Back-end Development
  • Python Back-end Development
  • Ruby on Rails Back-end Development

Upwork Skill Certifications in Design & Creative test for an individual’s or agency’s demonstrated competency in current design best practices. A panel of 2 or more domain experts evaluates a freelancer or agency Upwork portfolio based upon several dimensions depending upon the skill. 

• 2D Animation
  • 3D Animation
  • 3D Modeling *NEW*
  • Art Direction
  • Brand Identity
  • Cartooning
  • Creative Direction
  • Editorial Design
  • Graphic Design
  • Illustration
  • Image Editing
  • Motion Graphics
  • Presentation Design
  • User Experience Design
  • User Interface Design
  • Video Editing
  • Videography

We plan to grow the program and offer the skill assessments to more talent and in additional skill areas. You do not need to have earned a talent tier such as Top Rated or Expert-Vetted to receive an invitation. These are signals of having expertise in your field and do increase your chances of being invited, though. For the best chance of being invited, achieve and maintain a solid reputation, complete identity verification, maintain a complete and up-to-date profile that is not set to private, and have an active Upwork account in good standing. 

348 Comments
494b42d2
Community Member

Hey everyone, 

I participated in the programme and after passing all the steps i receieved a notification and an e-mail about having my Upwork skill certification live on my profile. It's been days and i can see nothing, ( I guess this would be a bagde or something) can anyone help?

Thank you in advance

atreglia
Community Member

Ilias I wrote:

Hey everyone, 

I participated in the programme and after passing all the steps i receieved a notification and an e-mail about having my Upwork skill certification live on my profile. It's been days and i can see nothing, ( I guess this would be a bagde or something) can anyone help?

Thank you in advance

Well, it's there.  Unfortunately it's all the way at the bottom under your portfolio.  You know, where many people don't look.  I dont know why UW puts it there.  I mean, if the freelancer cant find it easily, I dont know how they expect that a client will.

NikolaS

Hi Ali,

Thank you for reaching out to us. At this time you cannot request to be invited. For the best chance of being invited in the future,  we suggest freelancers achieve a solid reputation, keep a complete and up-to-date profile that is not set to private, and maintain an active Upwork account in good standing.  

pandemiya
Community Member

I received an invitation to skill certification as a rising talent. I chose the brand identity category as this is my main niche. But I would also like to apply for the graphic design certification. Is it possible for me to apply for the second category from the link you gave me in the email?

AndreaG

Hi Grzegorz,

Currently, we can't offer more than one Upwork Skill Certification to the same freelancer at a time. If there are any changes in that regards, we'll let our users know. Thank you for your feedback!

ansari_sajjad
Community Member

Hi Lena

I need  Upwork Skill Certifications in Brand Identity

AndreaG

Hi Sajjad,

At this time you cannot request to be invited for a Skill Certification. For the best chance of being invited in the future, we suggest freelancers achieve a solid reputation, keep a complete and up-to-date profile that is not set to private, and maintain an active Upwork account in good standing.  

Thanks!

adicfcs1994
Community Member

Hi my Upwork certification link is expired. Can you please send me another link

BojanS
Community Manager

Hi Aditya,

I was not able to locate the link you're referring to. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your report? I’ll check that for you and assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

dreamyart
Community Member

I had received an email from Upwork regarding Upwork Skills Certification. I had not received a response after I clicked on received invitation link given in the email. I applied with the link but I've not received any update after 4 business days.

Thanks & looking forward.