cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No feedback contracts no longer impact Job Success Score (JSS)

29350bfa
Ahmed A Member Since: Nov 6, 2020
41 of 914

Haider R wrote:

Considering your very little experience on Upwork and less than $500 lifetime earnings, this doesn't make sense. 

I'll happily use your logic, Haider, so I had 139 positive reviews on Fiverr before it got disabled, 51 of which were mine (I'm a fan of taking shortcuts, so my cousin was kind enough to lend me his abandoned Fiverr account, so that I wouldn't have to worry about dealing with people who associate skills with ratings; people like yourself, apparently, no offense), plus, 10 on Upwork, and 6 on Freelancer. That makes 67. These are the ones that are documented, so to speak, but you know, some of us have a clientele outside of known platforms, since relying on such platforms is ridiculous, and you've just proven so by claiming that I have "very little experience on Upwork and less than $500 lifetime earnings". I don't like using ad hominems, but either you made yourself look like a fool without realizing it or you're trying to get me to admit some kind of "crime against humanity" just because I got a lot of customers that trust me, and we don't have to go through silly bureaucratic nonsense. There's something called "PayPal". I'm sure you've heard of it. And before you get any ideas, I never suggest that I work outside of any platform even though the idea is appealing, considering that I got 14 years of experience under my belt, so leaving myself at the mercy of platforms that are crawling with incompetent freelancers who only care about money — you know the ones I'm talking about 😉— does not seem fair at all, but I have to stick to the rules, because I don't have a choice — only when I'm misunderstood that I stop caring about policies. However, here's a live example, so that maybe you'll understand. An Israeli customer hired me on Fiverr for the first time, and he fell in love with my services, and he even called me, "A true prince of a man", and when he wanted to hire me again, he couldn't find me on Fiverr, since it got disabled, so he reached out to me on Telegram. Is that such an evil thing? If your account got disabled, does that automatically mean your services are bad? If that's the case, then every customer that's ever complained to me about an incompetent Afghani, Bangladeshi, Indian, and Pakistani freelancer should've ended their story with, "And then his/her account got disabled."

So, the only thing that doesn't make sense is you being a great hustler on Upwork — which is admirable — yet somehow it didn't occur to you that it's possible to make money outside of platforms without breaking any policies. Did Upwork become Big Brother all of a sudden? I don't think so. 😂 If my neighbor wanted me to fix his laptop, should Upwork be involved? Jeez, man. No wonder I rarely read replies. There's a fine line between a troll, and a reasonable person, apparently. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vj3660
Pubudu G Member Since: Aug 11, 2019
42 of 914

Finally. I had the same issue Smiley Happy. Thank you for implementing this

29350bfa
43 of 914

Haider R wrote:

Considering your very little experience on Upwork and less than $500 lifetime earnings, this doesn't make sense. 

And also, that's like measuring Mark Zuckerberg's success based on his use of his Pinterest account. 😂🤣

psinned
Dennis K Member Since: Feb 15, 2020
44 of 914

WHEN STARTING OUT YOU TAKE WHATEVER COMES ALONG, UNTIL YOU ARE ESTABLISHED AND THEN THE MONEY STARTS TO ROLL IN. TOO SAY YOU ONLY MADE $500.00 IS A LITTLE ARROGANT.

29350bfa
45 of 914

You're using Comic Sans, and you're trying to caps-lock me to death. I'm definitely convinced by your statement, pal. 🤣😂

chadworth
Community Leader
Chad R Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
46 of 914

Thank you for making this reasonable change UpWork.
It really shouldn't be my responsibility if your client u.i and user experience is poor. I am glad that you finally agree.

I am heartened by the change in language. I note UpWork is referring to us as professionals now. Progress.

I was here when UpWork was oDesk. I had an eLance profile that I never made money from.

I wrote blog posts about overwork like an idiot, thinking I had to work myself to death, to grind my way to success.

UpWork has sent me an email congratulating me on the number of consecutive years I have been Top Rated.

I set my UpWork profile to unavailable until December. I have too much work. After I am done writing this post, I am going to change that to January.

My fridge is full. My wife is happy. It won't always be like this I'm sure. There was a time when it wasn't this way.

I found success because people who knew better were kind enough to tell me when I was being unprofessional.

One client told me, "Raise your rates."
Another client told me, "You should take this seriously. Get a professional headshot." I was using an image of me in my car with my head cocked to the side. I wonder what impression that image left with clients.

So many of you are making the same mistakes.

Your rates are too low. You don't have a professional headshot.

And I'm not trying to sing my own praises.

I just want you to know what you're competing against.

Most of you I'm sure have a YouTube feed filled with some celebrity's recent doings.

My YouTube is recommending Project Management videos by actual subject matter area experts, and tech reviews so I know what equipment to purchase next so I get more efficient over time. And I know how much I will need to spend when I am ready to purchase. There is a reason I own the fastest phone on the planet. And it's not because I want to impress my friends.

I spent over $10,000 hiring freelancers myself this year.

And I don't have any special skills. I'm using Microsoft Word, and Chrome, and FireFox like the rest of you. I have forgotten how to use PhotoShop, but I know how to find and hire professionals who know PhotoShop better than I ever will. I have an UpWork client account.

If you are a freelancer and you don't have NotePad++ and PhraseExpress installed on your machine, you are wasting your time.

If you are a freelancer you need to adhere to one simple creed. And I wish UpWork would enforce this with an automatic 2 week ban every single time it happens.

I am a freelancer. I do not work for free. I do not start work until the contract has been funded.

How many different ways, in different places do they need to say it so people get the message?

I don't know why you guys refuse to do it the right way, but clients don't even get to talk to me until they have paid me money. And you guys are out here working and not getting paid?

People can make fun of Ahmed's $500 on platform, but like him I have also made most of my income off platform.

There was a time when UpWork wasn't as concientious, wasn't as user-friendly, wasn't as supportive as it is now.

Ahmed knows what he's doing. I think he needs to raise his rates though.

Freelancing is a great life. But like everything else, there is an easy way, and a hard way. Everybody gets to choose how they want to do it.

You can spend your time arguing with clients about getting paid, or you can pretend that you are the prettiest girl at the dance and you don't talk to broke n**a**.

One client who gave me advice told me she never feels bad about turning a potential client down. She said, "It's not my fault they can't afford me."

I mean, I know this requires you to be very honest with yourself, and improve your profile, and learn copywriting, and get rid of typos, and learn who your ideal client is, and build a portfolio even if it means working for free, because let's face it all of that is work. Who wants to do work?

But if you're actually here to work... Why won't you work effectively? Why are you arguing with clients after you've done the work?

Listen. I am so good at what I do, if a client leaves me a negative review, I report them to UpWork. Obviously a crazy person. And most of the time UpWork agrees with me.

And I'm no better than anybody else. I started somewhere too. You can see on my UpWork profile where I underbid a project and failed. Tried to write two throughly researched articles for $30. No wonder I was having trouble making rent. What was I thinking?

This is a business. People depend on you. My wife wanted to go back to college. My daughter wanted to buy clothes she actually liked instead of what I could afford. My mom wanted to be able to go to her own doctor, somebody who cares about her instead of someone randomly assigned.

Who is depending on you?

Stop self-sabotaging, stop complaining, and do what works. Stop wasting time.

Pleasure competing against you guys.

You'll hear from me again I'm sure.

p_walker-tulloch
Pearlene T Member Since: Nov 6, 2020
47 of 914
I really happy to know that it is not me alone in the struggle. But the idea of giving free work when you have bills to pay is not being fair to yourself.
leon_lk
Leon G Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
48 of 914

Well said Ahmed !. I 100% agree with you

cintia_freelance
Cintia S Member Since: Jul 30, 2020
49 of 914

Thanks Upwork for this changing on the policy terms.

My JSS has increased to 100% and I couldn't be happier

I was told by some persons on this forum that my feedback was low because of the private feedback, it turned out that they were wrong. All I'm going to say is that they should think twice before giving bad advice to people who is doing a good work.

Thank you Upwork again for taking in consideration our complaints!

habibur0
Mr. H Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
50 of 914

Yes, Upwork already has the Fixed Price Security of money. The Deposit money in Escrow and when work finishes the release the money. You have to make sure your client deposits money. Or you don't start working