🐈
» Forums » Clients » Asking for fixed price in hourly job posting
Page options
c12274cf
Community Member

Asking for fixed price in hourly job posting

Hello. I have small projects once in awhile and normally post a job on upwork. In prior I would get different bids and some freelancer would need 5 billed hours when others would need 1 hour. Since I don't really care how long it will take, but how much it would cost I start making notes in the post asking for fixed price for the project. Moreover, if offers I receive are too high, I may just do the job myself.

I didn't have any issues with this and hired multiple freelancers on different projects when we would agree on the price before we start a contract and everyone was happy in the end.

Yesterday I received message from one freelancer on my posted job saying that it's against a policy to ask for fixed price, that he reported my job and I have to set budget in my job if I want to hire someone.

I tried to look up if I really broke policies, but couldn't find any. Am I doing something wrong, or this freelancer just being rude for no reason?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Brett:

It can indeed be annoying for a client to have to state a budget in order to post a fixed-price contract.

You should know that the budget doesn’t need to mean anything.

You won’t be held to that budget. The job post is just the start of a conversation. Nothing in the job post matters when you create the actual contract.

For example, you can post a budget of $789.

Then in the job description you can state: “The budget is a placeholder. I don’t know how much this will cost. Please look at the job description and provide a quote for how much you will do the work for. Any amount is acceptable for me to read your proposal, except for $789. Don’t quote my number.”

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Brett O wrote:

I tried to look up if I really broke policies, but couldn't find any. Am I doing something wrong, or this freelancer just being rude for no reason?

Maybe it doesn't specifically violate any policies (other than being clearly misleading) but yes, that's wrong. The freelancer may have been rude, but not "for no reason" - and considering he spent money on applying to your job post, I guess he felt strongly about that kind of bait-and-switch tactic.

If you want to pay a fixed price for something, post your job as a fixed rate job post.

If you want pay hourly, post it as an hourly job post.

If you post an hourly job post and really want to pay a fixed rate, that is deceptive and wastes freelancers' time and money, which is not a nice thing to do. 

Freelancers pay money to apply to your job posts. The very LEAST you can do is to write an honest, descriptive job post so those people who spend their valuable time and pay good money to apply in good faith aren't deceived.

c12274cf
Community Member

Thank you for your response Petra. I see you are guru here. I didn't even know freelancers have to pay money to apply for the jobs. The reason I post it as hourly, because it's only option which allows me not to set a budget and I have no intention of bait and switch. I do not want to set a budget due to different freelancers have different abilities to fulfill the project.

petra_r
Community Member

Brett O wrote:

I have no intention of bait and switch.

Yet that is exactly what you are doing. 

Brett O wrote:

I do not want to set a budget due to different freelancers have different abilities to fulfill the project.

What you could do is set a realistic budget and mention right at the very beginning of your job post that the budget is a placeholder.

Please do not post an hourly job if you want fixed rate. It's nasty.

Brett:

It can indeed be annoying for a client to have to state a budget in order to post a fixed-price contract.

You should know that the budget doesn’t need to mean anything.

You won’t be held to that budget. The job post is just the start of a conversation. Nothing in the job post matters when you create the actual contract.

For example, you can post a budget of $789.

Then in the job description you can state: “The budget is a placeholder. I don’t know how much this will cost. Please look at the job description and provide a quote for how much you will do the work for. Any amount is acceptable for me to read your proposal, except for $789. Don’t quote my number.”

I appreciate your input Preston. I will do exactly as you advised. I don't see much difference between setting $789 budget with no intention to pay that amount or post as hourly without any budget. But since posting hourly making me nasty, I will post the job as fixed rate with random budget. Thanks again.

$789 is an arbitrary number.

The idea here is that you try to approximate something you would really be willing to pay.

The OTHER alternative is to post $5.00 and state it is a placeholder.

The problem with doing $5 is that many freelancers will think that is the real number and filter your jobs out, never seeing them.

It is MORE USEFUL TO YOU as a client to post a higher number than a very low number.

If a client is struggling with this, then it is always fine to forget about fixed-price contracts and simply use hourly contracts. There is nothing wrong with posting an hourly contract and hiring freelancers using an hourly contract. I believe that there was criticism has been about posting an hourly contract without the intention to hire using an hourly contract, which is something different.

But as someone who has used Upwork for hundreds of contracts as both freelancer and client, I really believe that posted budget amounts don't matter. What matters is the conversation between a client and freelancer, and the task and dollar amount they agree to.

I posted another job using your advice with fixed rate of $99 for a small project. And mentioned this is placeholder and to make an offer. Now I'm getting a lot of interest with higher fixed rates which I have no intention to pay. I guess freelancers take the number I posted as a base. My overall experience so far not that great and I don't see that I'll be having any hires at all. I understand that freelancers have to pay to apply for a job, but how that's really my problem? I'm trying to provide job here on the platform and pay for the service. I don't know how nasty it is, but now there is more chance for me just to give up on freelancers all together and do it myself due to the luck of finding freelancer with reasonable offer. By the way many of them don't even respond to simple question in the posting and their offer is ignored all together. Now why did they pay money to apply for my job, when they can't follow protocol from the beginning.

When you post a job without any number at all, both sides have a lot of leverage to meet at some medium. It is more chances for both sides + the platform to get what they looking for. I've got new signed freelancers with no earning and no any kind of feedback expecting same money as experienced ones. They may have beautiful resume, but how do I know if they going to drop me in mid-project.

Brett O wrote:

I posted another job using your advice with fixed rate of $99 for a small project. And mentioned this is placeholder and to make an offer. Now I'm getting a lot of interest with higher fixed rates which I have no intention to pay. I guess freelancers take the number I posted as a base. My overall experience so far not that great and I don't see that I'll be having any hires at all. I understand that freelancers have to pay to apply for a job, but how that's really my problem? I'm trying to provide job here on the platform and pay for the service. I don't know how nasty it is, but now there is more chance for me just to give up on freelancers all together and do it myself due to the luck of finding freelancer with reasonable offer. By the way many of them don't even respond to simple question in the posting and their offer is ignored all together. Now why did they pay money to apply for my job, when they can't follow protocol from the beginning.

When you post a job without any number at all, both sides have a lot of leverage to meet at some medium. It is more chances for both sides + the platform to get what they looking for. I've got new signed freelancers with no earning and no any kind of feedback expecting same money as experienced ones. They may have beautiful resume, but how do I know if they going to drop me in mid-project.

You don't. If you employ someone, is there a guarantee that the person will not apply for other jobs and leave 6 months later? If you hire a freelancer outside Upwork, do you have any guarantee they will not drop off the project? Hiring someone always has a risk and you can't control everything.

Eventually you will have to trust someone. You may get bad experiences, but you may also get good ones.

If $99 was your maximum, you can always make it clear in your post. A placeholder is not a maximum, it is not even a value, it is just a recipient for a value. As the name says, it just holds the place for the value to come. It usually means "I have no idea what this may cost" or "I want to see different options and budgets". If you meant to indicate an estimated budget, or a maximum, then don't say it is a placeholder. The field itseld is called "Estimated budget", so just use it as it is meant to be used. Then the freelancer knows they can bid $99, $95 or $105. If you say it is a placeholder people may bid $5 or $5000.

As for paying for the proposals, that is not exactly true. You use connects to send proposals and connects can be bought or earned for free. Some people may have applied without paying any money, some others may have bought them. This, and the 20% fee the freelancer pays to Upwork, are your concern in one way or another.

It is not your fault if the amount you offer does not seem much to freelancers, due to the investment and fees they have to pay. But you will be affected by it, too. If most of the freelancers don't see a good enough return on investment, they will not apply and what you thought it was a fair price for a specific type of freelancer may not be the case and you may get another type of freelancer that is not what you were looking for. Expectations are not met and then one can get frustrated. Knowing the rules that apply both to you and the freelancer will help building more realistic expectations that can be met easier.

Upwork has a cost, obviously, and some benefits. In the end, both freelancers and clients do the same. They evaluate the cost and benefits of a posting on Upwork. If the cost outweights the benefits, the client will not post the job on Upwork or the freelancer will not apply for the job.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths