🐈
» Forums » Clients » Confusing Invoices & Tax Information
Page options
6d704151
Community Member

Confusing Invoices & Tax Information

Hi, I am in Australia and have 2 issues I hope to get resolved. 

1.  Is there any way I can have my invoices in Australian Dollar? I have a few invoices that was generated recently for several different projects. So my invoices are generated in USD but does not reconcile with what actually was deducted from my bank account. This gets really confusting to try and work out what payment went to which freelancer so I can cost my projects accurately. 
  2. Australian GST. You have a page on this that describes that I can add my ABN and confirm that you are registered for GST by going to Settings  Tax Information. But all I can add here is my address. Where do I add either my Tax File Number, or Australian Business Number?

Please advise, Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Stephan, 

I want to note that while clients from certain countries can pay in their local currency, only the billing to your card will be converted to your local currency. 

However, you can view local currency and USD charges on your invoice by following the steps below: 

1. Go to the Reports  Transactions
  2. Click the Ref ID number for the charge you want to view
  3. Click View Invoice to see the amount sent to your freelancer (in USD) and the amount charged to your card (in your local currency)

As for your second question, we are required to start collecting the Goods and Services Tax (GST) on the services we provide freelancers and agencies. You may want to check with a local tax advisor regarding your GST obligations. 

~ Avery
Upwork
6d704151
Community Member

Thanks Avery, I find this quite a frustrating way to reconcile projects. 

I went to the Transactions section as you suggested, and by clicking on Ref ID I see different displays between Type for Hourly & Payment. (See Attached)

One shows Amount in local Currency, the other does not. 

InkedInkedREF-425258803.jpg

InkedInkedREF-425564256.jpg

  

The way this is structured is just not viable for me and unless there is another way I can better track how much paid between different freelancers and projects in my currency, I may have to find another system to do this. 

On the GST part of my question, I think I need to change my profile to an agency as that is essentially what I am. 

Also, how do I change from Client to Agency account?

Only option here is to Close or Create New Account??  

6d704151_0-1636689439131.png

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Stephan, 

I can see where the confusion is coming from, and I'm sorry I wasn't specific with the guide I gave you. You will see on your Transaction History an entry with "Payment" as Description. This invoice includes the payment you made to your freelancer and the service fees charged to your billing method, and you will see the amount both in AUD and USD. 

As for creating an agency, you will need to create a freelancer account first before creating an agency account. Here's an article that outlines how you can create a freelancer account. And here's how you can create an agency account

~ Avery
Upwork
dbb0356d
Community Member

I'd have to agree here. It's so difficult with the invoicing and payments - you look at the invoices and it doesn't even say what project it is. It's all just reference numbers which is super confusing and it's hard to figure out what payments are for which and in the Australian conversion. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to learn that you feel this way, Simon. 

You will see on your Transaction History an entry with "Payment" under the "Type" column on this page. This invoice includes the payment you made to your freelancer and the service fees charged to your billing method, and you will see the amount both in AUD and USD. 

On the same page, you will be able to apply filters to choose the type of contract, the freelancer's name, credit, debit, etc. If you would like to see an invoice with the freelancer's name, check for descriptions with the note "Invoice for..." These invoices have the freelancer's name in the "From" field.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths