🐈
» Forums » Clients » Don't like the freelancer work, can I cancel ...
Page options
8baa416a
Community Member

Don't like the freelancer work, can I cancel without paying?

The freelancer didn't understand what I want, and have been sending drafts (2) but not as I wanted. Will I have to pay if I don't want to continue the contract? it's a fixed-price contract, all the money in the budget and "in escrow", but northing is "milestone paid"

The budget is $300 and it's in escrow, does that mean if I cancel the money in escrow will go to him and I have to ask for a refund from the freelance and he has the right to accept or refuse to refund it? *he didn't send any final work

5 REPLIES 5
richardrader
Community Member

Yes, you have no money in escrow so simply cancel the contract and you are good to go.

Sorry I was wrong in escrow the whole budget, so will he get the whole budget? even if I cancel?

prestonhunter
Community Member

Budget is meaningless.

Funded escrow money is only thing that counts.

If there is $10 funded in escrow, then you can release that and close the contract immediately. There is nothing the client can do to stop you from doing that.

If you want any money back, you need to request a refund from the freelancer. The freelancer can say yes or no.

To summarize: If you cancel, you can release escrow money to freelancer, or you can request refund from freelancer.

So the money is $300 in escrow, does that mean if I cancel I have to ask for a refund from the freelance? *he didn't send any final work

re: "So the money is $300 in escrow, does that mean if I cancel I have to ask for a refund from the freelance? He didn't send any final work"

Regardless of how much work he did and regardless of what he sent you, you still need to ask.

If he did no work, then all you need to do is message him, tell him that you appreciate his time, bit you are going to go in a different direction now. Ask him if you may request a full refund.

If he is honorable, he says yes.

Then you close the contract. You will be asked to release payment, but you can EDIT the amount to release, changing it to zero. Then finalize closure of the contract.

This sends automated refund request to freelancer. He clicks accept button to authorize refund. Then you get all the money back within five business days.

========

If he did zero work, then the honorable thing for him to do is to agree to a full refund.

If he did SOME WORK, then you should not ask for a full refund. If he did 50% of the works you should offer to pay him at least 50% of the money.

If you TALK to the freelancer before you close the account and generate a refund request, things will go better. It is FREE to talk to him beforehand and come to an agreement. If you don't talk beforehand, then he is more likely to say no.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths