🐈
» Forums » Clients » Important Reminder: Policy on Sharing Contact...
Page options
Bharathi M Staff

Important Reminder: Policy on Sharing Contact Information

Hi there! I'm from Upwork's Customer Experience and Trust product team. Ensuring that Upwork remains a safe and trustworthy environment is at the core of what we do. In line with this commitment, I'd like to remind everyone about our critical policies regarding contact information sharing and payment processes. By adhering to these guidelines, we not only safeguard every transaction but also uphold the integrity of our platform.

No Exchange of Personal Contact Information Before Establishing a Contract 

To help maintain security and privacy of your Upwork account, personal contact information exchange (phone numbers, email addresses, social media) is prohibited until a formal contract is established. This prevents scams, protects privacy, and ensures transparent negotiations under Upwork’s oversight.

Off-Platform Payments are Strictly Prohibited

All financial transactions must go through Upwork’s official payment systems. This ensures timely support, dispute resolution, and community-wide protection. Off-platform payments violate terms, increasing fraud risk.

Consequences of Policy Violations

Any policy violation may result in disciplinary actions, including loss of talent badges, temporary restrictions, or permanent loss of account access. This includes attempts to share contact information through various platform features such as project descriptions, profiles, messages, attachments, or other means.

Be sure to review our contact information sharing policy and help us keep Upwork safe by reporting any attempts to send payments outside Upwork. 

Need More Information?

For further clarification on our policies, visit the links below, which provide detailed information and resources for navigating our platform safely and effectively.

We're dedicated to fostering a secure platform where freelancers and clients can connect, collaborate, and thrive. Thank you for your cooperation and being an integral part of our community.

Thank you for your help in keeping Upwork safe, 

Upwork Trust & Safety 

91 REPLIES 91
Radia L Community Member

So clients, NEVER ask for any contact information before a contract, or face the consequences of policy violations!

Sarcasm warning. And again, what's with these duplicate sticky posts? 😁

Md Shadikul I Community Member

joined Upwork last week, posted a job, and within two days began getting contacts directly via email, telephone and sms text from people who had gotten my contact info from Upwork

Ivygail J Moderator

Hi Md Shadikul,

I saw your post in the community, and I'd like to assure you that we do not share contact information publicly. You may refer to our Terms of Service privacy policy here. I also converted your post into a support ticket to further investigate this matter. Rest assured that one of our agents will reach out to you.

~Ivy
Yassine B Community Member

Adhering to Upwork's policies is beneficial to both freelancers and clients. Without Upwork, it would be difficult to maintain credibility.

muhammad a Community Member

good upwok is very best

Selim M Community Member

That happend to me too 

Emmanuel G Community Member

Ooh i have got you sir

Mark R Community Member

I joined Upwork last week, posted a job, and within two days began getting contacts directly via email, telephone and sms text from people who had gotten my contact info from Upwork.  So where does that leave me in believing in a "secure platform"?

Victor K Community Member

Guess your are the luckiest person on upwork then if thats true

Mujahid B Community Member

yes,

Beshir S Community Member

How to get it and start it

Guemchon A Community Member

Excelent 👌🏿

Guemchon Altime
Myles D Community Member

Hi, If your Upwork client profile is searchable on the internet (using your company name) they just find your website there (or on LinkedIn) and contact you via what ever information that you've got posted there. Nothing having to do with Upwork.

I get those sneaky ones too, I just copy-paste this reply message to their email/text messages...

"You message me about this Upwork project via a back door again, I will blacklist you and your company from doing buisness with me and my business collegues, and I'll report you to Upwork for breaking the rules – You get only ONE warning.”

Achmad R Community Member

Good

Thomas M Community Member

Sounds good

Nafis C Community Member

Did you buy connects and If not than how did you get clients please guide me too

Asfaria C Community Member

You can choose to still continue work on Upwork as it is a secured platform in the sense that if any freelancer cheats on you, Upwork can hold the freelancer accountable.

On the flip side, I understand if you have a personalized experience with a freelancer for many years.

But you should definitely suspect any freelancer initially (before having a trusted relationship over years), and these are my own honest take as a freelancer myself.

Sharafat A Community Member

Upwork is such an amazing plateform!

Dragan S Community Member

Congratulations, I just joined Upwork and I'm so jealous of your luck.

Akash G Community Member

Hi I'm Akash Gupta! 

I think you posted job (post) is with your all details also includes your contact emails so you captured by others for these types of emails. 

Please kindly recheck your job post. 

Amanjot K Community Member

Done

Radia L Community Member

As I said in the "sister thread", have we seen an increase in circumvention lately? 😂 Is it one consequence of heavy monetization? 😁

I joined Upwork last week, posted a job, and within two days began getting contacts directly via email, telephone and sms text from people who had gotten my contact info from Upwork.  So where does that leave me in believing in a "secure platform"?

There should be nothing in your job post that can be used by freelancers to contact you outside, unless you gave it to them. Did you post names, offices, or links in your job post?

Mykola A Community Member

Circumvention going for sure. But most of jobs even have no views, noone speaking there. Maybe FLs including contact info at first line.

Radia L Community Member

wrote:

Maybe FLs including contact info at first line.

That's a possibility.

And another thing for sure: the botted proposals from fake accounts (we know there's A LOT of them), they kind of must circumvent because they have a great risk of failing ID verification to withdraw the money later (or, they may tell clients who respond to the proposal to hire "the real account", as a client wrote here before).

That's why I think there might be a significant increase in circumvention happening right now, which is why they need to post the threat message everywhere, without mentioning the pre-contract contact sharing exceptions as well.

Regarding @Mark R's specific problem, I'm curious and waiting for his answer. If he later says that he didn't put anything that could be used to find his email or phone number, including on his job post on other sites, that would be interesting.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths