cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback option for freelancers who just disappears

281cacf9
Marc M Member Since: Dec 11, 2016
21 of 29

"It's free to join Upwork. Once you begin doing freelance work with a client on our platform, we deduct a 20% / 10% / 5% fee from each payment."

Payment comes from us clients. But yes, for the premium membership plans, freelancers pays extra.

I have already apologized for naming the upworkers multiple times. If you want I can just edit the post and remove the names if that will make you feel any better Nichola.

Also those companies who spent 100k+ are obviously big companies or ones with big financial backup. And obviously the people who does the recruitment for them are very professional. Must be rocket science to figure that out 😉

Thanks again for your comments/suggestions and have a nice day.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
22 of 29

I don't call the shots Marc - Upwork does. 

The people who you have named and shamed will be deleted eventually by the moderators from your post and the threads will be merged.

However, we are all allowed to edit our posts - which is what you ought to do to conform to the rules and regs of the forum as well as Upwork's ToS.  

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
23 of 29

@Marc M wrote:

"It's free to join Upwork. Once you begin doing freelance work with a client on our platform, we deduct a 20% / 10% / 5% fee from each payment."

Payment comes from us clients. But yes, for the premium membership plans, freelancers pays extra.

I have already apologized for naming the upworkers multiple times. If you want I can just edit the post and remove the names if that will make you feel any better Nichola.

Also those companies who spent 100k+ are obviously big companies or ones with big financial backup. And obviously the people who does the recruitment for them are very professional. Must be rocket science to figure that out 😉

Thanks again for your comments/suggestions and have a nice day.

The client pays the freelancer. The freelancer pays Upwork out of what they received from the client. It's a narrow distinction, but it definitely is the freelancer who is paying Upwork.

I already replied to your (duplicate) thread in the client forum with some insight into why you might be having this problem. But I wanted to touch on your second point in this post about companies with $100k spent.

I'm a small client with $100k spent. I am a project coordinator, not a professional recruiter or someone with HR experience. and I've never had the problems you are having.

I'd still like to know why a freelancer would need to install an IDE as part of their interview?

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
24 of 29

I think you may have identified a key factor. If someone is only asking about the $ without first determining what the job involves, then I would agree that is a red flag. If I just answer someone's invite with a rate, it usually means I don't think they will pay that rate and I don't want to waste my time. But once it is clear that the rate won't be an issue, it is important to me to get the job details. 

281cacf9
25 of 29

I was looking for freelancers to help me on the reactjs part of my Wordpress website. Get in contact with 4; interviewed them and everything. Explained everything in detail, then at the end, they'll never accept the job and just disappear...

It already happened to me 5 times this week and this is really frustrating. There is also no option to give feedback on these kind of freelancers...

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
26 of 29

Just a small heads up.  It is against forum policy to name, let alone shame, either freelancers or clients on the foums.

Just as clients can leave freelancers in the air  after an interview (it's happened to me many times) a freelancer is not obliged to continue an interview if he or she does not feel the job is for them. Perhaps they didn't like your attitude, which seems to be pretty agressive.

A polite note  from the freelancers would have been in order, but this is not a perfect world. There are also plenty of other Wordpress experts to choose from. 

281cacf9
27 of 29

Making me wait minutes for every single reply, waiting hours so he can install his IDE and another hour so he can eat then disappears, i'm pretty sure I have the right to be a bit aggressive here trying to share my experience with such freelancers.

During interviews, I always explain briefly and even makes jokes. But then they just disappear right before accepting the job offer.

The lack of feedback for these kind of freelancers (which exists in other shared economy businesses) is kinda upsetting. 

And yes i've posted it on the freelancers forum aswell. If you can link me with the list of the rules on the forums, i'll gladly read and follow them. Thank you.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
28 of 29

Here you go Marc https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Basics/bd-p/CommunityBasics

This will help you learn about the community guidelines

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
29 of 29

I have never had a freelancer bail on me after a (brief, text chat) interview. If this is happening frequently to you, here's some possible reasons:

1) Your posted job description is vague and non-specific so freelancers who apply aren't sure exactly what they're applying for. Once they get in the interview with you and you give more details, they realise they can't do the job. Solution: Post a more specific job description.

2) You are targeting freelancers who are lower skilled/very cheap for a rather technical job, and they quickly realise they can't do the job. Solution: have a more reasonable budget and/or target more skilled/experienced freelancers.

3) Something about you during the interview puts off freelancers - too demanding? too aggressive? Your forum posts make you seem like you are expecting instant answers. Also you mentioned a freelancer had to install an IDE during your interview - are you asking them to do free work? (That's against the TOS by the way). Solution: some introspection on how you can make improvements to your process to work with your potential freelancers.

Remember - freelancers are a valuable resource and asset to you. They are not  slaves or servants or employees. They are working *with* you, not *for* you, to help you find a solution to your problem. Treating them with respect usually works for me. 

Note: these are *possible* reasons. I'm not saying any of them are the actual reason. But if you're doing the same process over and over and getting the same result, it's possible that the process is broken in some way.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS