🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer Initiated Direct Messages
Page options
dcrabill
Community Member

Freelancer Initiated Direct Messages

Hello,

After I post a job, the vast majority of respondants do not message directly; I simply review their proposals within the queue on the Job screen. Occaisionally, however, I receive a direct message via the Upwork messages tab from a motivated Freelancer. 

I am interested in understanding 1) is it acceptable under Upworks terms for Freelancers to directly contact clients via direct Upwork message, thereby skirting the Proposal process 2) if so, how may I utilize this tactic as a freelancer myself when applying for jobs? I can't figure out how this is done.

Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Dave C wrote:

1) is it acceptable under Upworks terms for Freelancers to directly contact clients via direct Upwork message, thereby skirting the Proposal process 2) if so, how may I utilize this tactic as a freelancer myself when applying for jobs? I can't figure out how this is done.

That isn't possible unless you have previously communicated with that freelancer before, in which case it is both possible and acceptable.

If you get a message about a job you posted via Upwork messages, the freelancer saw that they had previously communicated with you before and therefore had the ability to message you. 

There is no way to contact a client via Upwork messages if there hasn't been previous communication.

Preston H wrote:

re: "is it acceptable under Upworks terms for Freelancers to directly contact clients via direct Upwork message, thereby skirting the Proposal process"

It is NOT acceptable.

Those people who contact you outside of established Upwork protocol

You missed the point.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "is it acceptable under Upworks terms for Freelancers to directly contact clients via direct Upwork message, thereby skirting the Proposal process"

It is NOT acceptable.

Those people who contact you outside of established Upwork protocol are at the very least rule-breakers who are violating serious Upwork ToS. And they are PROBABLY scammers, who are planning to steal money from you without doing any real work.

re: "if so, how may I utilize this tactic as a freelancer myself when applying for jobs? I can't figure out how this is done."

I am not sure I understand your question. Are you asking how you can have your freelancer profile permanently removed from the Upwork platform?

petra_r
Community Member

Dave C wrote:

1) is it acceptable under Upworks terms for Freelancers to directly contact clients via direct Upwork message, thereby skirting the Proposal process 2) if so, how may I utilize this tactic as a freelancer myself when applying for jobs? I can't figure out how this is done.

That isn't possible unless you have previously communicated with that freelancer before, in which case it is both possible and acceptable.

If you get a message about a job you posted via Upwork messages, the freelancer saw that they had previously communicated with you before and therefore had the ability to message you. 

There is no way to contact a client via Upwork messages if there hasn't been previous communication.

Preston H wrote:

It is NOT acceptable.

Those people who contact you outside of established Upwork protocol

You missed the point.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths