🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer being blocked by Upwork
Page options
instat
Community Member

Freelancer being blocked by Upwork

Maybe someone had a similar situation and could give advise.

I had an hourly contract with a freelancer. The freelancer did great work and was very communicative. In fact, we had to switch to Whatsapp for communication as Upwork's emails came in too slow. This turned out to be a saving grace to our communication. The freelancer is about to be finished with the job. I have paid 2 weeks of work via Upwork. Suddenly Upwork restricted the freelancer's account and blocked her from accessing most functions in her account. It also will not release the money I already paid to her. She claims, they are not responding to her inquiries and she has no idea why the account was restricted. This freelancer was originally recommended to me by Upwork ("rising star"). Now, Upwork support told me to look for another freelancer. So I asked for my money back to pay for another freelancer. I have not heard back from Upwork about this. But I did go ahead and request a refund from the freelancer directly. She says that she is unable to refund the money as she cannot access her account. Question 1: Can Upwork not release money to a freelancer even though the client has paid it - and not refund it to the client? Is that just temporary? Question 2: Is me asking for a refund from the freelancer directly a good course of action? Is the freelancer really not able to act on this with a restricted account? Thank for any help you can give. 

5 REPLIES 5
spectralua
Community Member

1 Yes. But i think money will be refunded if freelancer banned.

2 No. Outside payments\refunds now allowed. Speak with Upwork only. 

As option freelancer can be unlocked and finish job.

arooj78
Community Member

Communication outside of Upwork can be the potential reason for her account suspension. 
Responding to your queries, 
1- The amount will revert back to you if the hourly invoice is paid less than 7 days ago of the ACC suspension. 
2- The amount will be transferred to freelancer after 90 days ( otherwise). 
3- Freelancer has nothing at the moment so no, it's not a good course of action to ask for a refund from her directly. ( as I said 90 days ) 
4- She can put in a request explaining Upwork the whole situation & apologizing for going against the rules & communicating outside UW, I hope they give her account back ( although fewer chances ) 

Lastly, yes, it is temporary & will be resolved for you sooner or later. 

I hope any moderator will respond to you. 
Also just know that I am also a UW user & my reply is not official but to the best of my knowledge.

Community Member

Communicating outside Upwork is perfectly fine once the first contract is in place.

instat
Community Member

Thank you all. Update: It looks like her account will stay closed. However, Upwork has refunded me the money I paid her so I can find another freelancer and do the project with them. Good for me, but bad for the original freelancer. 

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Whatever she did caused her to be banned.  Don't feel bad for her, she brought it on  herself.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths