🐈
» Forums » Clients » Freelancer requesting payment outside Upwork
Page options
61fc926e
Community Member

Freelancer requesting payment outside Upwork

Hi there,

I have previously reported a freelancer requesting payment outside Upwork for completed work. I was instructed to pay the freelancer on Upwork which I am fine with. i set up a job, shortlist her and once she responds, I can send her a contract. 

I have emailed the freelancer a few times and did not get any response. I tried to send her a message on Upwork but realised I can no longer send her a message. 

Can I please check if I can set up a contract with the freelancer without having to go through the shortlisting process? I tried to "hire" her but the system is not allowing me to do that.

I just want to pay her for the completed work. I am ready to pay her but I am not getting any responses via email and I cannot reach her on Upwork. Can you please advise how should I pay her on Upwork when I cannot message the freelancer and she is not responding to my emails? 

I don't wish for any legal repercussions when I am making every effort to contact the freelancer to make payment.

Please help.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

Nicole:
This is VERY simple.

You can click on the "Three Dots" icon on the freelancer's page, and then select "Flag as inappropriate", and then report the freelancer using the option: "Person is requesting payment outside of Upwork."

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 10.07.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 10.07.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 10.07.36 AM.png

re: "How can I pay her if I don't have a contract?"

You simply can't.

Upwork doesn't allow it.

If you had a contract and it is closed now, you would be able to pay. But with no contract ever, you can't pay.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I have emailed the freelancer a few times and did not get any response. I tried to send her a message on Upwork but realised I can no longer send her a message. Can I please check if I can set up a contract with the freelancer without having to go through the shortlisting process? I tried to "hire" her but the system is not allowing me to do that."

It is NOT necessary for you to be able to communicate with a freelancer in order to send her money.

It is NOT necessary to have an active Upwork contract in order to send you money.

You can navigate to an ALREADY CLOSED contract...

Click on the "three dots" icon...

Choose the "Send bonus" option.

You can send the freelancer any amount of money you want to.

petra_r
Community Member

Nicole, when you reported the freelancer, Upwork likely suspended their account, that's why you can't hire them. In future, don't have people do any work until there is a contract.

Preston, 1) there is no contract (open or closed) and 2) Nicole has already reported the freelancer.

61fc926e
Community Member

Thanks Preston and Petra.

i don't have a contract with her. I was asking for her to confirm the output of the work and she started work without a contract on Upwork. I have sent her an invitation to accept the job/ contract but have not heard back. 

How can I pay her if I don't have a contract? I know the payment needs to go through Upwork but I'm just not sure how to proceed from here.

Thanks

Latest Articles
Learning Paths