cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer stopped communicating, still owes us source files

Adina Z Member Since: Feb 10, 2016
1 of 5

Hi have a graphic design freelancer I met through upwork. She was in my city and we even had a meeting in real life in the start of the project. I hired her for a front end os a web design. Shortly after starting the project she moved to Europe. We continued meeting on Skype until about 2 weeks ago when she stopped answering my messages. She got back to me about a week ago saying she had been sick. She has been sending me JPG version of the designes all along. I told her many times I was happy with her work, and I even told her I would like to help her emigrate to my country as she wants to move back here permanently. And now we are almost done the project and I just want the source files, which she has not sent me. 

I have contacted her on Skype multiple times. She turns her status to "offline" after I post messages to her. I have already funded and released funds to her: $600USD. I still owe her a payment and offered to give it once I get source files. 

Dont know what else to do or why she wont rely to me.. The project is now 2 weeks delayed because of her and we cant get to the development stage without these source files. I did talk to Upwork Customer Service and they asked me for copies of my skype messages where I am asking for the files. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 5

There is clearly a level of distrust between this client and this contractor.

I would advise this client to not work with this contractor again. The contractor is playing games. But likewise, I would advise the contractor to not work with this client,

In my actual work as a contractor, I provide all files, all access to clients throughout the process. I trust the client will pay eventually, but that is because what I provide is of such high value that clients don't want to risk ripping me off even if they have an opportunity to do so. They know that would result in me being unwilling to work for them again in the future. Apparently this contractor lacked that level of confidence.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 5

Hi Adina,

I'm sorry to hear about the project delay and the communication problems you're having with your freelancer. I see our team has reached out to your freelancer and is communicating with you through the tickets you submitted. Please keep following up on the main ticket and note there's no need to submit additional Support requests, as the appropriate team is already involved on this case.

Adina Z Member Since: Feb 10, 2016
4 of 5

hi Vladimir, 

I know but in the meanwhile I dont have files and I am seeing if others in the community have had a similar experience. I really need my files and dont know what else to do. I have been very fair with this freelancers and have released about $900CDN so far for her work... and have told her the rest will be coming once I get the files. 

Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
5 of 5

@Adina Z wrote:

hi Vladimir, 

I know but in the meanwhile I dont have files and I am seeing if others in the community have had a similar experience. I really need my files and dont know what else to do. I have been very fair with this freelancers and have released about $900CDN so far for her work... and have told her the rest will be coming once I get the files. 

A fault at your end too,  you shouldn't have released payment until you received the files that you actually wanted. Sorry, not helping you with your current problem, hopefully Customer support will sort it out for you. But, a lesson for the future.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS