Fund Multiple Milestones

Highlighted
Chloe W Member Since: Aug 26, 2018
41 of 48

Nevermind, I just received an email! Thanks

Highlighted
Jamal C Member Since: Jun 13, 2019
42 of 48

5 years later, and it seems that you still have to wait for the first milestone to be released before you can fund the second. Sad.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
43 of 48

Jamal C wrote:

5 years later, and it seems that you still have to wait for the first milestone to be released before you can fund the second. Sad.

Upwork thinks you don't need this, so it won't happen. It's been requested for years, but they don't care.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
44 of 48

Rene K wrote:

Jamal C wrote:

Upwork thinks you don't need this, so it won't happen. It's been requested for years, but they don't care.

Buncha bleepity-bleep honey badgers

Highlighted
Fran H Member Since: Feb 27, 2012
45 of 48

Wow! Such a basic feature missing for so long. Just... Wow!

Highlighted
Giles L Member Since: Jun 15, 2020
46 of 48

Seems strange that Upwork "don't care" about this.

As a client with complex projects which are best managed through multiple milestones but ones which do not follow a simple sequential path, I will avoid doing future projects through Upwork. I can tolerate a certain amount of clunkiness in the UI and endless self-serving "add another team member" links, but this refusal to allow clients and freelancers to manage the sequence of work as they see fit is a deal-breaker.

I see no rational reason why a project should not have multiple, funded, milestones open at the same time.

Which, I guess, only leaves the possibility of irrational reasons...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Andrei T Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
47 of 48

You can have multiple milestones funded at the same time, with the same freelancer. You just place them under separate contracts, there's no restriction in this regard.

A much simpler solution is to only use milestones for payment without a description of the actual work being done: you simply fund a milestone with a rough estimation of what the project will take and release partial payments as work gets delivered to you. When nothing is left to release you fund another milestone and so on.

Highlighted
Giles L Member Since: Jun 15, 2020
48 of 48

I appreciate the suggestions.

However the first, separate contracts, sounds like a kludge that I'd rather avoid. In our world, "contracts" imply paperwork and overheads. I guess it might work, but I'd need to convince internal admin that Upwork "contracts" aren't really contracts. Feels like trying to ram a square peg into a round hole...

The second suggestion - partial payments sounds like a clever way to negate the use of milestones altogether. My quick attempt failed to reveal how I would make a partial payment of a milestone. Any tips on how to achieve that would be appreciated.

[edit: sorry, found the answer to my own question. I just have to have the guts to click the "Pay" button and then edit the amount - or request the freelancer request a smaller amount. See https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/How-do-I-release-partial-payment-to-freelancer/td-p/322518/p...]

Many thanks

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS