🐈
» Forums » Clients » Get a quote for the job
Page options
1b092687
Community Member

Get a quote for the job

I have no idea or set budget for the job I need done on website, not hourly rate for particular freelancer. Why I cant submit job with job description and receive quotes from freelancers with proposed fees??? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Yuri P wrote:

See Jess, the whole trend in th elnk Nina sent is wrong,"upwork" proposed and tested a "price range for the fixed price", again putting a price on the job. What I was asking and saying is to put simply "Request a Quote" option, this way freelancer can send a quote, and it is up to client to do homework to see freelancer profile, previous work and reviews and quality of work and decide if price match client’s budgets and quality of work. It would absolutely have "negative" feedback on test with price range, because I can put price range between $1-100k and this would mean nothing to anyone. Also, if client just budgeting and not ready to do the job, getting quotes helps to get a budget and then determent pricing for particular work. 

This is a different request than asking to leave the budget number open on a job post. "Get a quote" on Upwork means you will need to post an actual job, with all the relevant details included for what you want as a final product, and then evaluate freelancer bids on that job. You're not under obligation to hire any of the freelancers who bid, but you will "get a quote" from each of them. Posting a job costs the client nothing.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Yuri,

You can take a look at this blog post which includes some strategies that you can use in order to price your project and it also includes a list of rates and cost factors for some of the most popular job categories on Upwork at the bottom. I hope that helps!

~Nina

Thank you, Nina.
Not sure why it’s so "difficult" for this site to setup "Receive a Quite" for posted job and then base on acceptance for the quote work with such freelancer or agency which quote was approved and accepted.

jcullinan
Community Member

@Yuri P wrote:

I have no idea or set budget for the job I need done on website, not hourly rate for particular freelancer. Why I cant submit job with job description and receive quotes from freelancers with proposed fees??? 

This has been an ongoing request on the freelancer side, to allow clients to enter a "placeholder" or "I don't know" budget number for fixed-price contracts. We have been asking for YEARS. Perhaps if enough clients continue to ask for this functionality the Upwork "team" will consider implementing what should be a very basic function of the site.

For the time being, however, please write in your description that you don't know what the budget should be, and outline as many specifics for what you need done as possible. This will give freelancers applying to your job a better chance of putting together a meaningful proposal and developing an accurate estimate of the cost.

Thnx Jess,
or other solution just create community and website where such option is available and freelancers can apply there. If this request been proposed for years and this "Upwork" team haven’t done much it doesn't give much confidence in this site and customer support. Seems as the goal of this site just collect their % and do very little on development and customer support end. But that you very much for the feedback

Hi Yuri,

We have actually run a test in this area a couple of years ago, to enable budget range for fixed-price job postings. However, the results of the test were negative. Please see Garnor's post on this thread for more information.

~Nina

Nina, from what I am reading in the link you send me the "test" was "negative" because freelancers complained applying for a job and not getting one? This seems majority of "complaints", but I think this is what it’s called free market and "cost of doing business": "You do your homework and propose your best price in hope to win he job", this is how most enterprises works in the world. I know it would be easy to have a fix budget, but if someone doesn’t know the cost or have open budget by posting certain price pretty much illuminating other proposals that maybe out or below the budget. So not sure why it would be called a "negative" feedback.

@Nina K wrote:

Hi Yuri,

We have actually run a test in this area a couple of years ago, to enable budget range for fixed-price job postings. However, the results of the test were negative. Please see Garnor's post on this thread for more information.

If you actually read that WHOLE thread, you'll see that NO ONE was happy with Garnor's explanation at the time, and this request keeps coming back, over and over.

See Jess, the whole trend in the link Nina sent is wrong,"upwork" proposed and tested a "price range for the fixed price", again putting a price on the job. What I was asking and saying is to put simply "Request a Quote" option, this way freelancer can send a quote, and it is up to client to do homework to see freelancer profile, previous work and reviews and quality of work and decide if price match client’s budgets and quality of work. It would absolutely have "negative" feedback on test with price range, because I can put price range between $1-100k and this would mean nothing to anyone. Also, if client just budgeting and not ready to do the job, getting quotes helps to get a budget and then determent pricing for particular work. 

@Yuri P wrote:

See Jess, the whole trend in th elnk Nina sent is wrong,"upwork" proposed and tested a "price range for the fixed price", again putting a price on the job. What I was asking and saying is to put simply "Request a Quote" option, this way freelancer can send a quote, and it is up to client to do homework to see freelancer profile, previous work and reviews and quality of work and decide if price match client’s budgets and quality of work. It would absolutely have "negative" feedback on test with price range, because I can put price range between $1-100k and this would mean nothing to anyone. Also, if client just budgeting and not ready to do the job, getting quotes helps to get a budget and then determent pricing for particular work. 

This is a different request than asking to leave the budget number open on a job post. "Get a quote" on Upwork means you will need to post an actual job, with all the relevant details included for what you want as a final product, and then evaluate freelancer bids on that job. You're not under obligation to hire any of the freelancers who bid, but you will "get a quote" from each of them. Posting a job costs the client nothing.

you can't post "fix price" job and do not enter price. System wouldn't allow you to post such job. 

@Yuri P wrote:

you can't post "fix price" job and do not enter price. System wouldn't allow you to post such job. 

And that's the original issue. See my first reply on this thread. 🙂

The problem with “price range” or “fixed price” if client not familiar with prices for type of work they are looking for, or doesn’t have budget by posting low price than actual job would cost, client wouldn’t get any or very low offers from freelancers, or low-quality work offers. If price posted too high, then client may simply be overpaying for the job. By posting low-price client maybe cutting the freelancers who maybe they are looking for, re quality of work, and may not realize they can afford such freelancer or not. And vice versa, if low balling clients takes “responsibility” to receive quality of work they are pay for.

I check job description with a $5 budget all the time. The important thing is the information provided by the client. Everybody who is taking his/her job as freelancer seriously will check these jobs.

On the other hand I often do not bother to write a proposal for jobs with a $500+ budget because some freelancers only target these jobs and you have tons of proposals that are useless. The right freelancer will provide you with a detailed proposal or will ask for more information.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths