🐈
» Forums » Clients » How do you find the right freelancer?
Page options
ca3e1b8c
Community Member

How do you find the right freelancer?

When we posted a job as a client, there are lots of proposals we receive from freelancers who want the job. But how can we find the right freelancer? Can you share some tip how you choose the best freelancer?

58 REPLIES 58
frankyeesc
Community Member

Short-term paid projects are a great way to test new freelancers who are building up portfolio and experience on Upwork. An open and transparent communication by quickly scanning through proposals are also a great indicator depending on the task at hand. Having at least two or more options it's also benefitial not only to save time in the long run but also to leverage the time of each freelancer collaborating to move things forward on the business in my humble opinion.

paywell
Community Member

You’re asking how to find the best freelancer among the many proposals you’ve received?

I have one word for you:
Excel

Since Upwork has its issues, which don’t allow the most effective Freelancer / proposal viewing and comparing process, you have to create your own.

Create a GoogleSheet or an Excel / LibreOfficeCalc table, put the name of the freelancer on the left, and create a Pros, Cons and Notes columns for each one of them.

Surf through the proposals from all the freelancers, go into their profiles, read their proposals, and copy-paste everything relevant into the table.

If you’re into Kanban – use Trello / Asana for the same purpose. It’s even more interactive, in my opinion.

And remember: a proposal is only as good as your job post. Be precise in what you need. Be strict in what you require. Don’t let any point you’ve addressed be omitted by the Freelancer: if you’ve asked for something, and you didn’t get it – you’re dealing with a dodgy or inattentive person.

Good luck and happy hiring!

muhammad-nadir
Community Member

Post a job and choose the best who send application 

re: "Post a job and choose the best who send application"

That's great for a small job.

For a large project, I would add one word:

Post a job and choose the best FEW who send applications.

2fd96f9c
Community Member

Check their profile description and ask for previous work that they have done. 

d7595c06
Community Member

Any other freelancer here just spying to understand what clients prefer ?? ☻️🤣 🙊

vladimir_eric
Community Member

Focus on your primary goal! If you keep on worrying about how to filter/communicate/process freelancers the right way - you will spend all your resources on adopting to a process that should not be a part of your project's lifetime.

If you stick to your final goals, your job description will attract the pros that actually have an idea on how to achieve what is needed.

In short: do not try to do their job, but filter-out those that propose the best concepts on how to reach the goal.

A true pro will always offer the best recommendations for free - as he/she wod never fear from a potential competitor applying the same solutions - better than he/she would.

cecb6308
Community Member

Hi John!

We all know that the freelancers registered on this platform are all practically able to achieve your needs. The only thing that differs is the quality of the project and the production time.
My advice is to consult all the portfolios of the freelancer in terms of quality then choose the one that has no other projects to complete otherwise you will be on hold for a long time. 🤗

Just because a freelancer has open jobs does not mean the client will be waiting.  That idea eliminates numerous excellent freelancers. Most working freelancers have more than one job open at a time. I work with a range of people and projects and many have periods of time where the client is making decisions or for other reasons I may not be actively working on the project at that moment.

I totally agree. But Im talking about the freelancers who are targeted for long-term projects such as assisted programming or variable scriptwriting depending on the client. These projects usually require a lot of time and work. The client who is going to do business with this freelancer must imperatively wait until the current projects I mentioned is completed.

What you said it's true but for other jobs like graphic design or logo design or writing etc..

276ca400
Community Member

Hi John,

A better solution for this, First of all, check the proposal and attached portfolio, and after that check the right area of your requirement.

emilia86
Community Member

Check the profile first and feedback. Then ask for an interview and you will know more about the freelancer.

Right

piggington
Community Member

Hi John.

With both a Client and Contractor account (since the days of Odesk), I can give you a few pointers that have helped me find excellent talent...

1. First, be very specific about your job desription. The more vague you are, the more unqualified freelancers will answer your post. Be sure to mention in your job description that 'canned responses will be deleted and qualified freelancers should address your job criteria specifically.'
  2. The tip I've found to be most important and it's related to #1 - Look for freelancers who address specific concerns you have. You'll find that most of them don't even read your job description and just give the same, pre-written response to every job. I delete these outright. If you find someone who goes through and answers each one of your concerns specifically, that candidate should be high on your shortlist.
  3. Don't always go with 100% Job Success Score (even though I have one). JSS is a good indication of previous work, but it's not the only factor, and it's not always accurate in my opinon. I consider freelancers betwen 80-100% and have pretty good luck. Sometimes a JSS can be lowered if the client can't afford to rehire the freelancer for future work, even though the job was completed successfully (I wish Upwork would change this).
  4. Here's another important one - Although many freelancers will have a lot of previous jobs, make sure they are related to the specific work you need. A copywriter with all 5-star reviews, for example, may reply to a web design job, but that doesn't mean they are good at web design.
  5. Some freelancers provide a whole bunch of links to previous work they've done, but make sure they were directly involved in that work. For example, a freelancer may give you samples of work their agency did whether or not the freelancer was actually involved in those particular projects. Frankly, I usually don't provide examples of previous work unless the client asks for them. Giving a client a huge list of links is like telling them, "Here. You do all the work to find out how good I really am." To me, it's lazy.
  6. Take advantage of the screening  questions to ask specific questions. Try not to use the default questions because most freelancers have a canned response for those. Ask something specific that requires more than a yes or no answer. This will tell how interested the freelancer is in your project.
  7. Some clients add a sentence in their job description such as, 'Start your response with the word _________ so I know that you've read my job description." This tactic used to work, but freelancers are on to it now so many of them scan job posts to look for those type of instructions, but really don't read through the job post.
  8. As a contractor, I never start my responses with, "I've read through your job description carefully and..." That's usually a sign that they DIDN"T read through your job description carefully. 

These are just a few ideas, but it's a really good start. Do all these and you'll quickly narrow down your shortlist. All the best!

Regards,

David "DIno" Maiolo

befb7353
Community Member

you just see what you freelancer offering you in his proposal and how he understand your project  and your project requirements.

f87101a6
Community Member

Hi John,

Pay attention to the references. View the testimonials this freelancer has and decide if they speak to you personally.  Before you even give his first project, make sure he fully comprehends your wants, aspirations, and goals for your business. Only hire a copywriter who can provide a written 100% money-back guarantee and precise numerical guarantees of his abilities. How much, in how much time, and in what precise ways he can enhance your sales.

sanniya_a
Community Member

As a freelancer, I would like to suggest rather than putting a location restriction/limitations, it can be more beneficial for the clients to see the actual talent or skills. 

4ac83e1e
Community Member

Hello!!

It depends on what you need best and who had presented his proposal accordingly. You can also check profiles and then contact the best proposal writers and do oral interview. i hope you can choose the best freelancer for your job thence.

92f24065
Community Member

Hi John

When you post a new job share your all details about project then see who freelancer understand your project clearly and that complete project in given time. Then discuss more details and see his/her previous work similar about your peoject. I hope you get perfect freelancer. Thanks

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths