🐈
» Forums » Clients » How to block freelancers...
Page options
chew_frances
Community Member

How to block freelancers...

I'm using the company's account and I want to know how to block a freelancer from seeing any job posting made by the company in the future. The block option in the chat is only a temporary solution for myself and myself alone, I'm looking for a more permanent solution when say I no longer have access to the upwork client profile. 

33 REPLIES 33
JoanneP

Hi Frances,

There is currently no feature to block freelancers from seeing job posts. However, if this freelancer applies to your job posts, you may simply archive their proposals, or block them in your messages room by clicking on their name and clicking on the option to block them. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
tonyfez
Community Member

we need a solution to block Freelancers from harassing us.

Every day I have people begging me for work - do i need to be rude and say "go away, please stop annoying me?"

Hi Tony,

I'd be sure to share your feedback with the rest of our team. In the meantime, if this freelancer applies to your job posts, you may simply archive their proposals, or block them in your messages room by clicking on their name and clicking on the option to block them. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

re: "Every day I have people begging me for work - do i need to be rude and say "go away, please stop annoying me?" "

No.

You don't need to say anything at all.

Just block them.

Hi,

100% agree with Preston.

Primoz

Hey man.
Freelancers are not ;**Edited for Community Guidelines**
If freelancers know you are a picky guy and unpolitely , they will not contact you anymore.
But I wanted to say - You are not king on upwork and client is not sky.

Blocking a freelancer seems to be a great idea.  Pleasa share how to most effectively block a freelancer from ever contacting a potential client?

Hi,

but freelancer who didn't want to complete the job according to your wishes and have a dispute with you, really should not be awwarded to harass us any more. It should be an option to simply remove such people from us to see them at all if we do not want to!!!

We are posting the job to the people who are cooperative and not problematic. This is our right to work with the people we choose to.

Primoz

f91224a5
Community Member

I agree there needs to be a way to block certain freelancers from contacting clients!  It's gotten to the point that even having a spreadsheet of the ones to avoid is getting tedious.  

44fbe0f0
Community Member

Hi,

I agree with Tony. I have so bad experience with one freelancer, who didn't want to complete the job according to my wishes and we have a dispute so I really do not want that this freelancer see any of my future jobs, nor that I see him again.

You should find the solution for blocking bad freelancers from harassing us!

Primoz

I know its very frustrating if your job is not completed with great experience but I think you need to check the ability of any freelancer before contract start. can you share in which category of service you face this issue?

f91224a5
Community Member

Joanne Marie P,  please explain more in depth how to go into the messages area in order to block a freelancer.  

f91224a5
Community Member

Are you referring to going to messages, then to the freelancers, then push "hide"?  I want to block them from ever contacting me again.  If I "hide" them, they can still contact me.

Please explain how to block freelancers.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Steven,

To block a freelancer, click on the three dots in the upper right corner of Messages and choose "Block" from the drop-down menu (screenshot for reference).

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
dekerio
Community Member

Is this still working?

Thats all I can see if I click on the 3 dots:

https://prnt.sc/1wyieg2

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi David,

You can do this by opening the message room > clicking on the freelancer image/name > and from drop down menu, you can choose to block them. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

can you please share a screenshot?

Hi 

Here you go! When you click on the user's profile picture from the message room you'll see the option here. Please keep in mind you cannot block a user with whom you have an active contract.

~Andrea
Upwork
f7814e2e
Community Member

Hi Bojan

This option does not seem to be available anymore.

I think upwork can improve the experience for clients and the ability to block by adding the option to block. I do not see it on my platform as I tried following your screeen shot but i could not open my 3 dots.

Hi Avtar,

Thank you for your message. I would like to clarify that you can block a user on the message center by clicking on their name and then selecting 'Block' from the drop down menu. Feel free to reach us if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep,

this blocking is not corectly done and is not equal for both sides, I have the feeling that freelancers are in better position. If freelancer blocks you, you as a client have not option to block them as well as the links are not accesable. But freelancer can still see your posts and your activity. This is not acceptable for clients at all and need to be fixed from Upwork ASAP.

Primoz

Steven J wrote:

Are you referring to going to messages, then to the freelancers, then push "hide"?  I want to block them from ever contacting me again.  If I "hide" them, they can still contact me.

Please explain how to block freelancers.

who are you responding to? Please use the quote function so we know who you are responding to, especially with multiple responses in a row. 

bdd683bb
Community Member

Upwork definitely needs to have a way of blocking freelancers (and job posters to be fair). The 'block' function has now turned into 'hide' and they can still message you (as of May 2022). Needs to be fixed.

And, to top that, they can block you.  Upwork needs to UP their game in equally protecting clients.  

This blocking is not corectly done and is not equal for both sides, I have the feeling that freelancers are in better position. If freelancer blocks you, you as a client have not option to block them as well as the links are not accesable. But freelancer can still see your posts and your activity. This is not acceptable for clients at all and need to be fixed from Upwork ASAP.

Primoz

1119048e
Community Member

I don't get the block option.

Hi There,

Thank you for reaching out to us. There are multiple ways to block a user but the easiest way is to access a conversation with that user, choose their profile icon, then select Block. Please note that you cannot block a user with whom you have an active contract. You may want to visit this help article to learn more.

~ Arjay
Upwork
abid-jutt6
Community Member

I know its very frustrating if your job is not completed with great experience but I think you need to check the ability of any freelancer before contract start. can you share in which category of service you face this issue? I think there is no option to block any freelancer for your upcoming jobs

df9b5476
Community Member

The freelancer keeps sending messages, asking to amend rating. So frustrating but I can't block the freelancer. Please fix this function as soon as possible.

Hi Lydia,

I am sorry to hear about your experience with this freelancer. I will be sharing your report with the relevant team to review and take action based on their internal guidelines.

You can also report the messages by clicking the 3 dots on the right side of each message and select 'Report Message'. You will need to select the reason on the pop-up window and click 'Send Report'. To block the freelancer, click the name of the freelancer in the Messages and select 'Block'. 

- Pradeep

Upwork

please do. I have a freelancer that already finished working long time ago and he keep messaging me every few days. I can hide but it'll show again when he msg again. This is a very bad experience

6699f366
Community Member

why can't i delete this message -________-

3bb51561
Community Member

I can definitely help you out

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths