cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup a project with 3 freelancers, and setup different milestones for each freelancer

v-books
Gene A Member Since: Sep 23, 2016
1 of 7

I have a project with 3 freelancers, but they need to work in different milestones. How can I separate their milestones?

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
2 of 7

Hi Gene,

I suggest you create different contracts for each freelancer. You may check this help article on how to create a fixed-priced contract, and pay for the milestones in each contract. 

~ Avery
Upwork
v-books
3 of 7

Hi Avery,

Thanks for this suggestion!

I asked this question because when I created the project I saw the option to hire more than one freelancer. But, when I tried to hire the second person, I realised it's not so obvious after all.

Thanks again,

Gene

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 7

Hi Gene,

Hiring a second person for the same job should differ from the steps you went through when hiring the first one. I've checked and your job post is still active, so just use the green Hire button as with your first candidate and let us know if you need any assistance.

Also, based on your conversation in Messages, please note that users are allowed to have only one account on Upwork as per our ToS and creating additional accounts is a serious violation.

Untitled
v-books
5 of 7

Hi Vladimir,

Thank you for your reply!

I agree that hiring a second person for the same job is possible. However, my question is about "Hiring a second person for the same job, but for different milestones that the first person."

After all, this is the reason why I need to hire two different persons, isn't it?  So, I'd be very happy if you could answer this question.

@Vladimir G wrote:

Also, based on your conversation in Messages, please note that users are allowed to have only one account on Upwork

Yes, this makes sense. At the same time, I guess that you also saw the technical problem my potential freelancer and I are facing, and which prevented -- and still prevents -- both of us to work together. Obviously, Upwork is losing money, too, because of this bug.

So, what could you & Upwork do to fix this issue?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 7

You can't hire different people to do different milestones within the same contract.

You can hire an unlimited number of people to work on the same project. You can hire an unlimited number of people off of the same job posting. Hire 100 people if you want.

But each contractor you hire needs to be hired with a separate contract.

fire_flash_ex
Ace Contributor
I S M H Member Since: Oct 6, 2010
BEST ANSWER
7 of 7

Hello Gene,

You can simply create another contract. And to hire that Freelancer directly, you can ask your chosen freelancer to give you his profile link. You can go to his profile and hire him.

And to keep things smooth, assign the first contract with the feasible milestone to the first Freelancer then create another contract with a new freelancer and set up the milestones.

Be sure to hit the team member with specific requirements and tell them that the milestone will be released when "XYZ" is achieved or complete.

Hope that helps,
On Behalf of The UpWork Community,
Yet another Freelancer who loves UpWork

View solution in original post

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS