cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have paid more than 70 hours and got nothing functional

Steffen D Member Since: Mar 27, 2017
1 of 6

Hello together,

I have hired a freelancer for a project in ASP/C#. He has no worked more than 70 hours in the last 3 months, but nothing, really nothing comes back. It's an hourly contract, so of course I have paid all the hours. What can I do know?

I only can check anything if it's almost ready and installed on my server. So I have had no chance to see, if work is going on write or not. So I also have had no chance to dispute anything, because I believe of course, that he worked well. 

No, the freelancer don't show any more reactions to messages. 

I plan to create a lot of more projects in Upwork. But most of them are programming works, so I only see the first result after a longer term. I have no time to check sourcecode, so I can only check results in working tools. But this, I don't see in the time I have the chance to make a dispute. What chance do I have to get a useful work for my money. 
I know, that dispute is not for quality of work. But if I didn't get anything, I must have a tool to prevent me from that.

Thanks for your answers,
Steffen

Andrew R Member Since: Mar 23, 2017
2 of 6

Your best bet is to contact support and go on from there. The best thing to do with a a freelancer is make sure they are doing the work before you accept the billing. Especially when they are not giving you any proof of the work being done or ignoring your messages. 

Steffen D Member Since: Mar 27, 2017
3 of 6

Thanks for your answer.

But that is exact my problem. On some projects, I can't get a proof of work in the timeframe I have before billing or to open a dispute. As usual in many programming projects, you don't see much in the first part of the project without studying the sourcecode. But for this, I don't have the tzime at the moment.

Of course, I can work with milestones. But that is also always a little bit tricky, if you and the freelancer talk from the same things. So here is the risk of misunderstandings and missing or unclear features very high.

A useful option could be a combination of milestones and hours - if a milestone is reaches and checked, I pay the hours the freelancer needed for that. If the milestones are small it will be a better solution for both sides as a fixed timefram every week. But I think that isn't possible here in Upwork - or I don't find it.

Regards,

Steffen

Community Guru
Abdul R Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
4 of 6

Dear Steffen, 

The best way to work in milestones and only release when you satisfied with the work you get. You can divide your work into different milestones, and in this way, you can get the best possible you expect. 

Never post an hourly job if you cannot monitor well. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 6

@Abdul R wrote:

Dear Steffen, 

The best way to work in milestones and only release when you satisfied with the work you get. You can divide your work into different milestones, and in this way, you can get the best possible you expect. 

Never post an hourly job if you cannot monitor well. 

This is terrible advice. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 6

Why were you not working with an independent project manager who can evaluate and test the source code submitted regularly by the developers?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS