cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Knowing what skills are required from a developer

Sandy C Member Since: Apr 22, 2015
1 of 2

Hi there,

I am trying to create a job posting for a web developer who can help me create a unique interactive web-mapping tool, with options for users to create their own, password protected accounts. The site would be pre-loaded with spatial datasets and would provide users the opportunity to add their own data, as well as perform spatial analysis queries with the end result being a table and a printable map.

I have no idea what sort of specific skillset this requires and was wondering if someone could give me an idea as to how much time and money a project like this would cost, as well as what kind of capabilities it requires.

Thanks a lot!

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
2 of 2

Hi Sandy C,

This is a really great question, and is a very common one for an employer when it comes to a specialized skillset. Do you have an idea of which technology stack you would like to use for the development of the site? Information like that would be very helpful to include in the posting.  When a posting is too vague or open-ended (especially web and mobile development jobs), many freelancers may not apply because they won’t be able to tell if their skills would be the right fit.  

The money question is a separate issue, I would advise you to take a look at similar jobs in the marketplace to get a better understanding of what other clients are paying.  You can do a fixed price contract or hourly, hourly may give you a lot more flexibility, but you will need to manage the job more closely.

I hope this helps,

Lena

Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS