cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Pay for High Quality

Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
11 of 59

It's all geographical. There people are here from all parts of the world who are experts in most fields. I'm from England, so the cost of living here will be higher than somewhere like the Philippines. I would personally be happy with $1.00 per 100 words, especially on a niche subject because typing is quick. If someone averages 50 words per minute and they don't get writer's block, etc... then in theory that's $30 per hour which isn't bad at all.

I usually see quite handsome wages for writers. I have to admit though, I have seen some pretty horrendeous wages and the lowest being $0.10 per hour. The worst part is - people applied! 

This new $3 minimum wage will make it a lot better. 

Upon doing a bit of research, a lot of countries have the minimum wage set at less than $0.01 an hour, LESS than!

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
12 of 59

"'I'm from England, so the cost of living here will be higher than somewhere like the Philippines. I would personally be happy with $1.00 per 100 words, especially on a niche subject because typing is quick. If someone averages 50 words per minute and they don't get writer's block, etc... then in theory that's $30 per hour which isn't bad at all."

So, you think writing is typing? Given your listed skillset, can you not appreciate the difference?... and why is it quicker for a niche subject??

Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
13 of 59

The definition of 'write' to which you refer includes creativity and imagination, the definition I was referring to was the ability to write. If you told me to write 500 words on a subject in which I was skilled (regardless of my creativity & imagination) - I would deliver very quickly, but turn that topic into a subject that requires research and understanding - I'd obviously be slower.

Yes, I made a mistake when I typed only "niche". I meant a niche subject in which someone was educated and skilled in.

Maria Nida C Member Since: Jun 24, 2014
14 of 59
I'd say, that offer is still sweet! Check out my experience with **! Since I am new to odesk, I accepted to write a 5000 word academic paper (disguised as an article in the job post) for ** for ONLY $19, with endnotes, in-text referencing and bibliography of academic sources (excluded in the word count!)... All because I was new to odesk and was trying to build my profile. I submitted "article" on time, made revisions as requested, and after submission, they were trying to haggle the price down to $9!!! for a good feedback?? with 10% odesk commission, I'd get $8??? Clear blackmail! Do these people have a soul? I mean, really? Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad I ended contract without accepting payment. $8 is the minimum hourly rate in the US! I made the articles for days, amidst me contracting the flu and having no internet connection because of a strong hurricane. How'd you categorize this madness? *"Removed by admin"
Community Guru
Jeri B Member Since: Feb 15, 2010
15 of 59
Deena B, you are so right. You and I had a shared client that offered a FABULOUS opportunity. However, the quality of the standard template and existing information was SO POOR that my average hourly rate--which I had already reduced to go after the job--was literally cut in half. Something that should have taken 15-20 hours ended up taking 40+ hours. It was, as if, the project manager didn't understand that quality-reviewing templates written by someone that is not an experienced writer (like you and I) took twice as long to edit. And she would brag about this person! Who wouldn't know active voice if it hit her in the head! I saw your comments when you left the job, and wanted give you a high five. HIGH FIVE!
Grace M Member Since: Jun 10, 2013
16 of 59
I too am having the same frustrations with these contradicting requests I'm seeing! All I think when I see them is how do I even stand a chance against Pakistan and India with $2-4/hours rates? Doesn't seem any clients on these freelance sites value quality of work for a higher premium. I value my work and would never charge that low of a fee. This is hard work, I don't skip corners and I don't cheat customer's out on quality work.
Monica W Member Since: Oct 26, 2014
17 of 59
Most of the job ads now want 500 words for $1.5 -- Some want hundreds of articles, work that would take weeks, for $10. I don't apply for those jobs. You can't live on $10 a day, never mind per week.
Debika Rani P Member Since: Jun 29, 2014
18 of 59

You are right, Freelancers are offering low rate for high quality work. But as a freelancer, I have seen that clients are interested to hire low rated freelancers. So good freelancers are offering low rate and for this market is going down.

Debika Rani P Member Since: Jun 29, 2014
19 of 59

One thing I forgot to tel that 90% of clients are are including "LOWEST BIDDER WILL WIN"

But they want high quality work.

May I know why ?

So we are offering low rate for high quality work.

Ace Contributor
Jennifer H Member Since: Apr 30, 2012
20 of 59

I doubt that any clients will actually respond to this thread, because most would never admit to paying such atrocious rates.

Deep down, they know they what they're doing is wrong. And that's the saddest part of it all.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS