cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My hired freelancer was suspended and is asking me to pay her via Paypal

adam s Member Since: Oct 31, 2017
1 of 15

I recently hired a freelancer who was new to upwork after I reviewed her Behance profile and was impressed by her work. She completed the task perfectly and then I hired her for another task. Less than a day later she was suspended and the money was refunded and she is asking me to pay her via Paypal. Is there anything I can . do to pay her in Uprok and not paypal? Can she have the funds that were refunded re-applied to her account or once the refund is done the money stays in my account?

Community Guru
Michael S Member Since: Aug 29, 2017
2 of 15

Upwork does not allow you to pay freelancers outside of the platform. Doing so could cost you your account.

Your freelancer needs to get whatever caused the suspension cleared up, but that's on her, not you.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
3 of 15

This is a serious problem that multiple clients have complained of here. When Upwork suspends a freelancer, it often means interrupting a client relationship in progress--perhaps even a project already underway with a deadline.

Since the suspended freelancer can't be paid through Upwork and the client can't make direct payment without violating TOS, Upwork leaves the client with no way to move forward. The freelancer might have completed 3/4 of the project and the client may not have time to hire another freelancer and start from scratch before the project deadline, but the current system leaves that client with no means of purchasing the work he/she already contracted for and escrowed money for, which the freelancer has already completed.

No system is perfect, but this particular flaw puts clients at significant risk of critical projects not being finished, despite both parties having done their part.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 15

Hi Adam,

I wasn't able to identify the contract and freelancer you were referring to, so please submit a support request and include the contract number in order for Customer Support to review and advise you further.

Moyosore A Member Since: Aug 8, 2019
5 of 15

Hello,

I have a similar situation. I have already paid $6,165‬to my freelancer before he was suspended. I got a mail about $2000 refund from upworks but I haven't received any money since Jul 25.

Kindly find a screenshot of the mail I got after contacting support. I was told I will get $124.75 applied to my account. 

How do I get $124.75 refund for $6,165‬. 

My project is on hold. 

I need to either get a freelancer assigned to my project (2 months work gone) or get my total refund

Kindly help, that was my savings

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 15

Moyosore, sorry to hear this, and let me make it clear I'm just a freelancer and I do not work for Upwork, so an Upwork employee might provide you more information. But normally, on an Upwork contract, Upwork collects a 20% fee out of the first $500 paid to the freelancer, then a 10% fee on the next $9500, then 5% after that. So Upwork is saying they collected a total of $124.75 in fees, and if you spent $6,165, they should have collected a much larger fee. The only way the numbers add up is if you paid the freelancer a lot of money directly, instead of through Upwork. If that's the case, then Upwork found out and that's why the freelancer was suspended, and perhaps the only thing you can do is talk to the freelancer and ask for a refund.

7 of 15

Hello John,

Thank you for your reply.

I didn't pay the freelancer outside upwork. Upwork should take responsibility for disrupting my project.

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
8 of 15

Hi Moyosore,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had.

I can see that you`re already communicating with our team on your ticket with number 25992788. If you have any additional questions or comments feel free to update your ticket and our team will assist you further.
Regarding refunds, please keep in mind that it can take up to 5 business days for the funds to be loaded on your account. Thank you.

Untitled
Moyosore A Member Since: Aug 8, 2019
9 of 15

Hello Gorvan,

Thanks for the response. I received the refund notification on Jul 25, its Aug 9 today. That's way past 5 days.

I also don't understand why I am being paid $124.75 for a project I spent $6,165 on and for the fact that Upwork terminated my project. This is so unfair.

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
10 of 15

Hi Moyosore,

I`m sorry about the confusion.
Just to clarify the credit that was sent to you is for the fees and it will be credited on your account in up to 7 business days. I would also like to confirm that I have escalated your concern to our team and one of our team members will update your ticket with more details as soon as possible.

If you have any additional questions feel free to update your ticket at any time, thank you.

Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS