a315371c

New 'Applicants' interface is useless.

It used to be with the old oDesk interface, I could filter and sort applicants by price, # of hours worked, rating, location, etc... I also used to be able to page through records instead of this stupid 'show more' at the bottom of this arbitrary list of applicants that upwork gives. It takes me at least twice as long now to hire for a job as it used to ... because I have no introspection into the applicants for the job.

4 REPLIES 4

The "ten jobs or more" hasn't even been officially announced - it's been admitted by the mods hidden somewhere in a thread last week, because they don't like official announcements. It may be bad, but it is to replace the vile, morally repugnant auto-hiding of applicants by robots, whereby applicants weren't even told whether or not their application would be delivered to the client; and the robots that made the decisions were not much better than random in making them. So it's better than the alternative.

@Stephen B wrote:

The "ten jobs or more" hasn't even been officially announced - it's been admitted by the mods hidden somewhere in a thread last week, because they don't like official announcements. It may be bad, but it is to replace the vile, morally repugnant auto-hiding of applicants by robots, whereby applicants weren't even told whether or not their application would be delivered to the client; and the robots that made the decisions were not much better than random in making them. So it's better than the alternative.

But Stephen, isn't this feature even worse than auto-hide? On a typical job with let's say 80 applicants, about 10-15 made it to the hidden folder. There was a hidden tab so clients could still find those candidates. Now, out of 80 applicants 70 are hidden, with the option to click "show more" seven times to see them all, and having to repeat this process each time the application page is left. This feature makes hiring on Upwork pretty much impossible.

Well I've nve=ever seen the client interface so you'd know best...

but isn't it the same for job feed, etc - you have to keep clicking. Would you rather your job feed was changed so that the robots randomly hid the best jobs in an extra folder?

Totally agree. I have no problem with them improving their own algorithms in order to help us find what they believe to be more relevant candidates, but while doing that... they need to give us back the tools that we can use in order to conduct our own explicit searches within all applicants for a specific job. I have not always found the bot's 'recommended' or 'suggested' to be entirely helpful, and as you said... scrolling through 'show more' for 10 at a time with 80+ applicants is ridiculous, especially when you go back to the applicants page and it makes you start over. I wind up with 20 or more open tabs of applicants to avoid this 'feature'.

When I am relegated to working with an excel sheet in order to sort and filter through profiles of applicants... there is something seriously missing from the user experience.

Hell... they have a 'shortlist' button on each profile, but there is no way to even view that shortlist of applicants!