🐈
» Forums » Clients » Payment Issues
Page options
620d12cf
Community Member

Payment Issues

Hi, this is my first time using Upwork - first, I would like to say that it is very hard to reach anyone that can help you with your issues. 

Second, the issue - I worked with a freelancer, who did a wonderful job but went way over budget. I'm very satisfied with her work and explained to her the payment issue. The funds for the project were $x amount and she went well over the budget. As I said, this was my first time using a freelancer from Upwork, and the freelancer told me that I would be able to pay over a time period. 

I want to pay her for the job, but Upwork will not answer any of my feedback. Is there a payment plan if the freelancer agrees to or do you have to pay in a lump sum? I would like to pay her for the excellent work and I'm not avoiding that issue, but I told her that I was paying out of pocket and the amount charged isn't currently what I had in my account. She said it's fine, freelancers can get paid on a payment plan? Is this true? 

Would I use her again, probably not? She charged me for explaining the project, and half the time it was off-topic (i.e. getting her laptop started). She did an excellent job and was satisfied, but I felt taken advantage of when she began charging me to tell her life story. 

Thank you. I hope you can understand from a first-time user as a client. 

3 REPLIES 3
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear about the inconvenience this caused, Channing. 

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with your concern.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
620d12cf
Community Member

Thank you for the quick response. Please let me know if I need to do
anything.

Thank you!

Channing:

I hope Upwork can help you out.

Maybe they can set up a special arrangement for you.

In case it helps, below is a general discussion not related to you or your situation:

Q. Does the Upwork user interface have a button for setting up a payment plan in order for a client to pay a freelancer over time?

A. No,

Q. What if I owe money to a freelancer and I want to pay him, but I don't have the money to do so right now?

A. You can make arrangements directly with the freelancer to pay him using the client-side "Send bonus" tool. For example, if you want to pay a freelancer $400 over the course of four weeks, you can use the "Send bonus" tool to send $100 each week for four weeks.

Q. How does Upwork enforce this?

A. Upwork doesn't enforce this. You would pay based in the honor system.

Q. Is this a normal practice?

A. This is all highly irregular.

Q. If a freelancer didn't set up payments and contracts the regular way and now asks for money... couldn't I just not pay him?

A. Yes.

Q. What would Upwork do about it?

A. Nothing. Upwork only gets involved with regular payment situations - payments that can happen automatically by virtue of using an hourly contract or fixed-price contract. Upwork will not get involved with ad hoc arrangements that rely on bonus payments or the like.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths