🐈
» Forums » Clients » Payment method by project
Page options
6118800c
Community Member

Payment method by project

Is there a way to designate different payment methods for different long-running projects? I have several related, but separate, entities. I would like to clearly segregate the payment methods used. This is a big problem because I just had several thousand dollars drawn on the wrong freaking bank account, and upwork has zero, none, zilch actual support from human beings that is in any way useful.

2 REPLIES 2
williamtcooper
Community Member

Sidney,

Yes, it is possible to designate different payment methods for different projects on Upwork. You can set up each project with its own payment method in the Payments tab of the settings section. This will ensure that payments for that particular project are drawn from the designated account and not from any other accounts you may have set up. If you ever need help changing or setting up your payment methods, you can contact Upwork's support team who would be more than happy to assist you.

222a2d33
Community Member

I had the identical question.  Here's the big take away.  1) If you already initiated the job, you are stuck with the initial payment method you associated with your profile.  I agree- that is so dumb.  2) Apparently you need to create a team within your account in order to designate a different payment method to a different project.  That payment method will only work if the new job is initiated once that team has been formed (and I assume assigned within that team). 

They gave me two links to explain this.  I tried to paste them here and they wont let me do it.  Like... really! lol.  Anyway I'm sure if you cut and paste these in their help forum, the articles will come up.  To form a team, the title of the article they gave me is  a) Group Contracts Within Teams – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help and then to enable that team, the title of THAT article is b) Enable Teams – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

Here's what support said: 

You will only be able to set the different payment methods on the new contracts that you will be having with your freelancers after you created the teams.
If the contracts were created before you had the teams, you won't be able to assign the payment method that you would like to use on it, It will automatically use the primary billing method on your account.
------------------------
Finally, I did request to my very helpful agent (she could only do what she could do) that she create a formal complaint on my behalf.  If you are experiencing the same thing as us, I would encourage you to do the same because this is just silly.  The platform is so smooth and user friendly, I am frankly flummoxed by such a huge miss and it's unbelievable that this hasn't been addressed.  Guess all we can do is complain and hope the right set of ears takes it seriously.  Hope that helps!  Have a better day and sorry to be the bearer of such tidings.  Cheers!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths