cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phase 1 / Phase 2 ?

Angie B Member Since: Oct 19, 2015
1 of 4

Total newbie here. I have a great developer working on a big app project. We're almost done with what could be considered phase 1 of the app and the developer has asked me to esentially close the project (for phase1) then rehire him for phase 2. I think this is fair and am happy to leave 2 separate 5 star reviews as I know he is wanting to build his resume / track record.

My question: Is there a risk for me in doing thing this way? Could he just bolt after we close phase 1? Would you agree to do this with your own freelancers? Or is this a bit too risky to do?

Thanks in advance!

Melchor G Member Since: Oct 19, 2015
2 of 4

There is no risk of taking of that, you can rehired him with no risk. all your history will be save in upwork.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
3 of 4

@Angie B wrote:

Could he just bolt after we close phase 1?

This is a strange way to phrase your concern.  Freelancers are not animals you keep locked in a pen.  They are free to work or not work with you in the future, for whatever reason.  Nobody here knows what the terms of your initial job were, or how happy any party involved is with how things are being done.

You should be in a place where the developer has delivered everything you paid for.  If so, then it doesn't matter one bit if they're not involved in the next phase.  Simply hire a different freelancer to pick up where the first one left off.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 4

Yes, if you close a contract, the contractor could decide to never work for you again and there is nothing you could do about it.

This is preferable to the alternative: You go against the contractor's wishes and make the contractor feel like he is forced to work for you. You do not want source code that was written resentfully. You want source code that was written joyfully. That may sound a little flakey, but it is absolutely true. Computer code is like music or a cake. It can be created with good will, or not. And you don't want the "not" type.

From experience, I can tell you that when clients have closed contracts at my request and paid me promptly as agreed, I gladly hire on for the next phase of projects. The truth is, I accept fees from my earlier clients who promptly closed and paid out fixed rate contracts that are far less than what I typically get paid now. I don't know if I do it out of loyalty or habit or inertia or what. But that is what has really happened.

I can't guarantee that your current contractor will continue with you, but I suspect that he will, and that he'll continue doing work on phase two with the same level of quality that he applied to phase one.

And of course you make sure that you receive all source code and files and deliverables before paying anything.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS