cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving no or only irrelevant freelancer proposals

Florian A Member Since: Mar 22, 2016
21 of 34

No it's not. You can only select 1 preferred location instead of using more or just exclude one. That's a big difference.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
22 of 34

Florin,  

I really hope you never end up in hospital and have to be urgently treated by a doctor or nurse from a certain region...

23 of 34

Come on...

I need a Spanish native speaker for Spanish web content. Am I discriminating **Edited for Community Guidelines** that make proposals without ever reading the job description when blocking them from the job?

Sounds legit.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
24 of 34

Just an afterthought. Could be the time/day you're posting. I posted a job once for a keyword researcher back in the day. It was for another company before anyone jumps at me. Smiley Tongue

Anyway, it was weird because I got barely any responses. Reposted it again on another day and got flooded. 

Community Guru
25 of 34

"Come on...

I need a Spanish native speaker for Spanish web content. Am I discriminating **Edited for Community Guidelines** that make proposals without ever reading the job description when blocking them from the job?

Sounds legit."

Not at all. You're discriminating against **Edited for Community Guidelines**, when really you should be discriminating against people who make proposals without ever reading the job description. Of course there'll never be a filter for that (heaven forbid if they tried to write one...), but using a country as a proxy for that is - well - not really on. Even if there was a way to positively filter by country, your ideal Spanish speaker could be living in Norway or Nicaragua - it's a global platform.

26 of 34

Is it my fault that there are plenty of freelancers from these regions that just ignore the job description and make proposals to jobs where they are clearly not qualified for? And why on earth should I make a job visible for freelancers from regions that just can't fit?

I really don't get your problem and why you have to put this on a personal level. I hire a lot of freelancers from these regions btw.

Community Guru
27 of 34

"I really don't get your problem and why you have to put this on a personal level. I hire a lot of freelancers from these regions btw."

Florian, believe me, this is in no way personal - it's about a principle: the principle of excluding a whole group based on assumptions about the group as a whole. For some things in life that's fine; but when we're talking about where somebody lives, or even more so someone's ethnicity, then there's a word for that kind of generalising. Like you said yourself, you've hired people from "that region".

I'm not in any way suggesting anything personally bad about you - just saying that exclusion by specific region or, worse, by ethnicity, is a bad way to go for any professional community or corporate entity. Inclusion is always better than exclusion - even if it amounts to the same thing. Exclusion bites deep into folk memory - "No blacks" for southern Americans, or "no dogs, no Irish" for the Irish. So I just would prefer Upwork to have a filter based on inclusion rather  than exclusion.

And at the end of the day, you'd get the same thing.

Happy Easter and best wishes to you and all...

28 of 34

Interesting, you were showing a screenshot where you were supposed to target several regions and after I asked where and how this is possible it is deleted (with my reply).

What's the reason for that?

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
29 of 34

@Florian A. wrote:

Interesting, you were showing a screenshot where you were supposed to target several regions and after I asked where and how this is possible it is deleted (with my reply).

What's the reason for that?

The algorithm has been broken since day 1, May 5 2015. I don't think, after all this time and all the complaints that anything will ever be done. Paid 1 million for it and it's a disaster and continues to be.

I agree with being able to filter people from certain regions and it doesn't have to mean you're discriminating. For me I want someone to work in roughly the same time zone as me due to my issues with different time zones. Has nothing to do with the person, language or country. 

People who apply for expert jobs and offer to work for $3 should be banned ... they are in no way experts and bug the heck out of clients.

The last job I posted specified North America and I still got flooding with freelancers from other areas, cheap freelancers and yes, Upwork recommended freelancers from areas where I did not want. 

The whole search thing for clients is a mess. It's also not much better on the freelancer side.

It's a very sad state and they call it advanced technology...NOT

30 of 34

I'd like to give you at least 100 kudos but can only one.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS