cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM FREELANCERS

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 22

re: "I'm a designer myself and what I would suggest is to do some research on the people you are interested in working with. You can check if they own a portfolio outside of Upwork to check if details or the work they present here matches the one on their website. You can also check their details on social media like twitter, facebook or linkedin, freelancers usually own them and details about them can be found there."

Ugh.

Who has time for that?

I can't imagine trying to research somebody like that. They're not marrying my daughter. Maybe I just want some original artwork.

When I hire artists on Upwork I only want to see their Upwork portfolio.

I don't read their profile overview text.

I don't even read their proposal. I don't care.

If I like the look of their portfolio and think it's a good fit for my project, then I hire them. That's about it.

If their profile looks like it was copied-and-pasted from the Internet, obviously I'm going to ignore them.

I hire all kinds of artists... experienced, newbies, in between. Perfect JSS. Not-so-great JSS.

If the artist doesn't do any work. Oh well. They won't get paid. Doesn't cost me anything. I'll use the work turned in by the other artists.

Upwork has GREAT artists. Here's a piece I commissioned and received yesterday from an Upwork artist living in Bolivia (paid with an hourly contract at his posted rate):

clean.jpeg

This is just a very low res version. Of course the artist provided constituent files and high resolution files.

I'm using this for a login page background image here.

Community Guru
12 of 22

With regards to verifying if a freelancer's identity is legitimate:

This may matter to you. It may not. If you're hiring a lead developer for an app development project, then it's probably more important to know who you're dealing with than if you're hiring an artist to create a single image.

But even with freelancers who you intend to work with on a larger, more prolonged project, I'm personally more interested in hiring them and seeing the results than in investigating their background before hiring them.

What if I investigated their background and their identity thoroughly and found that every single thing they said about themselves is 100% true?

That's good, but it doesn't guarantee that they'll be a good fit for my project. I still need to hire people and find out who can do the work, and be ready to close their contracts regardless of their identity.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
13 of 22

Preston, I strongly disagree with your statement (paraphrased) "check profile for validity ... UGH; who has time for that?" and so forth.

There are more than enough thieves and stolen portfolios and profiles on this site as well as on others.   Until platform management does the checking - meaning absolute verification that everything is legit - which isn't gonna happen here or any multiple service platform catering to so many levels - buyers darn well better check.

Community Guru
14 of 22

Wendy: I completely agree that freelancers' identities are not verified and you can't assume an Upwork freelancer is who they say they are.

But what if a client doesn't care?

If I don't care, why should I check?

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
15 of 22

If you're a new client, and you're uncertain about the process, the best thing to do is to make sure you hire freelancers who are well-established with a great Job Success Score and extensive history with great feedback (please note I have nothing against new freelancers, and as an experienced client I frequently hire them myself. this is just a recommendation for new, uncertain clients).

The other thing to do is make sure you're paying a reasonable rate. Pay well enough to rise above the "bottom feeder" end of the market and find decent freelancers.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
16 of 22

Preston, the freelancer identity isn't what I was referring to. Work showcased in a portfolio should be verified.  This is especially true for artists and writers - most often when there is zero or little track record of performance.

Community Guru
17 of 22

re: "...the freelancer identity isn't what I was referring to. Work showcased in a portfolio should be verified."

I agree.

I'm pretty quick to judge a freelancer's portfolio.

If it looks like it was copied from the Internet, I'm probably not even going to give it a second glance. I'll move on.

If an artist presents a portfolio that looks like it was done by the same person, and looks distinctive... Then I'll spend more time looking at it.

I also monitor the work of artists I haven't worked with before.

If I see screen shots in work diaries or early sketches that leads me to believe an artist can't deliver the kind of work I saw in her portfolio, I'll end things immediately.

And I do google searches on completed work.

Community Leader
Stefan C Member Since: Nov 1, 2011
18 of 22

@Preston H wrote:

I'm using this for a login page background image here.

I wouldn't have linked/made publicly available a panel that has SQLi vulnerabilities, even if it's on a dev environment.
But then again, it is a dev environment after all, and no harm can be done. I'm sure a person with your experience wouldn't miss something like that in a production app.

Let me know if I should send you a printscreen.

Community Guru
19 of 22

Stefan (Rosie/alert a)... no need to send me anything. I saw you were there the moment you showed up.

Community Leader
Stefan C Member Since: Nov 1, 2011
20 of 22

@Preston H wrote:

Stefan (Rosie/alert a)... no need to send me anything. I saw you were there the moment you showed up.

I see you're doing your forensics. Don't mind my traces too much, I didn't do more than input some random strings, that alert thing, and register/try to recover the username for my newly registered account "Rosie O'Donnell" - none of which should be harmful, and I assumed you wouldn't mind since you've publicly posted the link to your panel.

Not sure if your last edit (you added "alert a" on top of "Rosie") was insinuating of anything, or just pointing stuff out, but let me go ahead and assure you that messing with other people's work is not my cup of tea.

I simply saw a form, and couldn't resist typing gibberish into it. The page said there's no *gibberish* username. I thought "what are the chances I could trigger an alert (in my browser)?" - I sure wasn't expecting a SQL error.

I guess it might have been more courteous of me to pm you about it, sorry for not doing so.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS